Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a collection

tag
mpilot82
New Visitor

Question about a collection

First post.. long time lurker, first time poster.  

Have a question regarding a collection - currently held by Verizon Wireless.

Their collection hit my CR as a "negative account", not as a "collection account" (not sure what the difference is between the two?).  It hit my report this month.  Called Verizon Wireless to offer a PFD over the phone.  They declined.  Then sent one in writing.  They left a VM for me asking to call.  I did, they denied again.  However, they did give me the telephone number to the CA it's been assigned to - IC System (whom I haven't received any correspondence from yet).  The CA has NOT shown up on my CR yet.  

The debt has been charged off I'm told internally, and while they *can* (and will) accept payment for it, the amount outstanding has changed 3 times depending on the rep  I've talked to.  My CR shows $650, another rep told me $665.31, and finally today was $709.35.  I would think it would be consistent from day to day.. 

My question is what would be the most effective way of making this either go away, or alternatively, reflect non-negatively on my CR?  

I was contemplating paying the OC and having them update the records as paid.  There's 5 years of good history on the account, despite the fact that it's in collections account state.  I don't know if this will improve my credit score or not (the collection dropped it ~100 points).   If I go that approach, I'll dispute the records after it shows as paid, and see if it falls off that way (I don't foresee much hope in that, though).

The other route I was contemplating was calling the CA and offering a PFD through them.  If the account has been assigned to them, would they be in a position to accept such an offer?  They would have only been retained at this point, correct?  I believe if they had purchased the debt, they would be the CA on my report, not Verizon Wireless. 

Alternatively, I can wait for another CA to pick it up, the OC to fall off, and offer the same deal to the next CA that comes along.  I'd like to get it resolved sooner than later, though.  

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about a collection

@mpilot82 wrote:

First post.. long time lurker, first time poster.  

Have a question regarding a collection - currently held by Verizon Wireless.

Their collection hit my CR as a "negative account", not as a "collection account" (not sure what the difference is between the two?).  It hit my report this month.  Called Verizon Wireless to offer a PFD over the phone.  They declined.  Then sent one in writing.  They left a VM for me asking to call.  I did, they denied again.  However, they did give me the telephone number to the CA it's been assigned to - IC System (whom I haven't received any correspondence from yet).  The CA has NOT shown up on my CR yet.  

The debt has been charged off I'm told internally, and while they *can* (and will) accept payment for it, the amount outstanding has changed 3 times depending on the rep  I've talked to.  My CR shows $650, another rep told me $665.31, and finally today was $709.35.  I would think it would be consistent from day to day.. 

My question is what would be the most effective way of making this either go away, or alternatively, reflect non-negatively on my CR?  

I was contemplating paying the OC and having them update the records as paid.  There's 5 years of good history on the account, despite the fact that it's in collections account state.  I don't know if this will improve my credit score or not (the collection dropped it ~100 points).   If I go that approach, I'll dispute the records after it shows as paid, and see if it falls off that way (I don't foresee much hope in that, though).

The other route I was contemplating was calling the CA and offering a PFD through them.  If the account has been assigned to them, would they be in a position to accept such an offer?  They would have only been retained at this point, correct?  I believe if they had purchased the debt, they would be the CA on my report, not Verizon Wireless. 

Alternatively, I can wait for another CA to pick it up, the OC to fall off, and offer the same deal to the next CA that comes along.  I'd like to get it resolved sooner than later, though.  

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.  

First thing I will say is federal SOL on cell phone bills is 2 years if this is what it is.. SOL is not same as time allowed to report. If the CA is not on the report I would deal with the OC to settle getting an agreement for it to be recalled from the CA, a CA can only agree to do a PFD for their entry on a report. The way you tell if a CA or JDB owns a debt is if the OC reports 0 balance... Since Ver is reporting a balance they own it...

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/415

This law pertains to debts between the carrier and the FCC, not the carrier and a consumer.

It was also written almost 80 years ago, long before cell phones existed.

Most states consider cell phone debts to be a written contract.

Message 3 of 4
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/415

This law pertains to debts between the carrier and the FCC, not the carrier and a consumer.

It was also written almost 80 years ago, long before cell phones existed.

Most states consider cell phone debts to be a written contract.

Thanks for the clarification Guiness! I had been wondering about cell phone SOL after the 2 year limit was mentioned in some other threads. It did seem too good to be true.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.