Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a sold debt...

tag
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

Question about a sold debt...

Months ago, I DVd a collection agency and they took the debt  off of my reports. A few weeks ago, I noticed a soft pull from another CA..and tonight, I got mail concerning the old debt I disputed. My guess is that the debt was sold. 

Of course, I'm going to DV the new CA. However, I wonder if it is a violation for a CA to sell a debt that was disputed. Also, what if this new CA reports the debt to my credit reports before the DV gets to them within the 30 day period? 

Also, in the past I have sent DV letters my certified mail. Is it best to send it certified mail return receipt? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
polno1234
Contributor

Re: Question about a sold debt...

@abundancejones wrote:

Months ago, I DVd a collection agency and they took the debt  off of my reports. A few weeks ago, I noticed a soft pull from another CA..and tonight, I got mail concerning the old debt I disputed. My guess is that the debt was sold. Did you DV the CA or dispute with the CRA's? Yes it was probably sold.

Of course, I'm going to DV the new CA. However, I wonder if it is a violation for a CA to sell a debt that was disputed. Also, what if this new CA reports the debt to my credit reports before the DV gets to them within the 30 day period? If you just DV'd the CA and they removed the item then no there is no violation of law that i am aware of. Yes the most certainly are allowed to report to the CRA's as soon as they buy the debt.

Also, in the past I have sent DV letters my certified mail. Is it best to send it certified mail return receipt? Always good to have a paper trail.                                                                                      

What we need is more info. Is this debt yours? If so what is DOFD? That will help getting started

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.