Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about an old debt with Portfolio Recovery

tag
LadyLeah
Contributor

Question about an old debt with Portfolio Recovery

Good afternooon, everyone. I just got yet another call from Portfolio Recovery regarding an Orchard Bank debt from 2005. I don't remember having any Orchard Bank card EVER... the last/only credit card I remember having before now is a Discover Card from my college days. However, they did verify my correct SSN (last 4 digits). The amount owed is $579 or something. It is not on my credit report; I assume it fell off a couple of years ago. 

My question is: since debt never truly goes away (as evidenced in their weekly calls to me), should I just offer to pay a fraction of the amount due? If I do make an offer, does that get me into any trouble? How do you suggest I handle this?

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about an old debt with Portfolio Recovery

@LadyLeah wrote:

Good afternooon, everyone. I just got yet another call from Portfolio Recovery regarding an Orchard Bank debt from 2005. I don't remember having any Orchard Bank card EVER... the last/only credit card I remember having before now is a Discover Card from my college days. However, they did verify my correct SSN (last 4 digits). The amount owed is $579 or something. It is not on my credit report; I assume it fell off a couple of years ago. 

My question is: since debt never truly goes away (as evidenced in their weekly calls to me), should I just offer to pay a fraction of the amount due? If I do make an offer, does that get me into any trouble? How do you suggest I handle this?

FOAD letter if you dont want to hear from PRA or if you want to make token pmt to settle would be ok too, they cannot re-report it on your CRs and if its past your states SOL your affirmative defense would be the SOL if they were to sue though I think you will find somewhere on their notice "we will not sue you because of the age of this debt".

Message 2 of 6
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info guys...

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 6
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

Just don't want it to affect my new account with them that I want to pay off

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
LadyLeah
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

FOAD letter if you dont want to hear from PRA or if you want to make token pmt to settle would be ok too, they cannot re-report it on your CRs and if its past your states SOL your affirmative defense would be the SOL if they were to sue though I think you will find somewhere on their notice "we will not sue you because of the age of this debt".

I had to Google it, as I'd never heard of a FOAD letter before and the glossary here didn't help. I gotta tell you, I found THEEE FUNNIEST foad letter ever!! That was hilarious.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not certain I have the courage to do such a thing, even the less combative/more professional version... I'm just afraid that I might do something to trigger an adverse reaction of some sort. Idk, maybe I'm just a little paranoid. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You can deal with the newer one seperately.  One will not affect the other.  They cannot withhold your payment for the newer one in lieu of the older one.  However, if you were to send a FOAD letter, it would prevent any communication with you.  So I wouldn't send that if you have one that you want to pay off now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.