Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about being an AU

tag
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Question about being an AU

My girlfriend has near perfect, albeit very young, credit.  She is 21 and has never had a credit card.  She is however halfway through a 5 year auto loan that is current/never late.  This is the only item on her credit report, so she doesn't even have a FICO score.

Mostly to shut me up, she recently replied to two pre-approved credit card offers - an AMEX Blue and a USAA Mastercard.  As you can see fom my scores below, I could use a helping hand.  My question is - am I allowed to be an authorized user on her credit cards even though we are not technically related?  I do not plan on EVER using either card for myself for any reason, but would it be worth the boost to my score/credit worthiness?

My other concern is for her.  Would my credit problems in any way hurt her credit if I were an AU on her cards?

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about being an AU

If you don't have anything positive on your reports, these AU accounts might help your scores, but not a lot. Depending on how much of your available credit is being used, these accounts might help improve your revolving utilization calculations. However, since your GF's accounts are new, they will not help improve your credit history or AAoA (average age of accounts).

My advice is don't do it. Whatever your GF does with these accounts, rather good or bad, can affect your scores. The same goes for what you do. While AU accounts can boost scores, sometimes by a lot, in your situation you don't have a whole lot to gain by doing this. . Keep in mind that as an AU you are not responsible for paying the account, but if the account is paid late or your GF defaults, your scores will tank just like hers. I would never share an account with GFs, BFs, friends, cousins, uncles, aunts, etc. There is just too much to lose from a credit scoring stand point.

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have anything positive on your reports, these AU accounts might help your scores, but not a lot. Depending on how much of your available credit is being used, these accounts might help improve your revolving utilization calculations. However, since your GF's accounts are new, they will not help improve your credit history or AAoA (average age of accounts).

My advice is don't do it. Whatever your GF does with these accounts, rather good or bad, can affect your scores. The same goes for what you do. While AU accounts can boost scores, sometimes by a lot, in your situation you don't have a whole lot to gain by doing this. . Keep in mind that as an AU you are not responsible for paying the account, but if the account is paid late or your GF defaults, your scores will tank just like hers. I would never share an account with GFs, BFs, friends, cousins, uncles, aunts, etc. There is just too much to lose from a credit scoring stand point.

Message 2 of 3
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Message received. Smiley Happy

I have a positive BoA Visa credit card on my account. 4 years old, never late. 

I also have 5 positive Sallie Mae loans that are a result of my 6 "rehabilitated" Nelnet loans.

Couple baddies, but I'm doing some PFD's and GW's and crossing my fingers.

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.