Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about best time for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about best time for CLI?

Sorry if this is a weird question to ask, but I figured this was the best place to ask it...

I have a few big purchases that I need to make in July (tuition) and towards the fall (laptop which could wait if necessary, although its 10 years old and has been Frankensteined enough).

Right now, my scores are in the range of 630-650. My util as of now is 29%, and I have the following as baddies:

EX - 2 coll (PRA, medical dropping off in June) + 1 judgment (dropping off in Aug)

EQ - 1 coll (PRA) + 1 judgment (dropping off in Oct)

TU - 1 coll (PRA)

I'm also inq heavy on EQ & TU (10+) but low on EX (7). All have 2 falling off in May as well.

By mid-May, I should have my util down to 1-3%, with all cards having <10% util. As far as the baddies go, unless PRA gets sued, I'm stuck with them until 2021. All others will be gone by October of this year.

Anyways, my question is what would be the best time to request CLIs or possibly app for a more prime card with a higher SL? My tuition alone would be 2500 and my highest SL is $1000 (which no doubt is because of my util & baddies). Would it be in May when my util is low (it hasn't been this low since before I started rebuilding)? Or should I just wait as long as I can after that? I know that Cap 1 credit steps would happen for me in early September, so I'd obviously want to try to get a CLI before that.

And by the way, I'm only aiming for AMEX or a better Cap 1 card at this point. Barclays has flat out told me to see them in September, Citi & BoA haven't even noticed me, and Chase has 5/24 so I'd be limited to their co-branded cards.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about best time for CLI?

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry if this is a weird question to ask, but I figured this was the best place to ask it...

I have a few big purchases that I need to make in July (tuition) and towards the fall (laptop which could wait if necessary, although its 10 years old and has been Frankensteined enough).

Right now, my scores are in the range of 630-650. My util as of now is 29%, and I have the following as baddies:

EX - 2 coll (PRA, medical dropping off in June) + 1 judgment (dropping off in Aug)

TU - 1 coll (PRA)

I'm also inq heavy on EQ & TU (10+) but low on EX (7). All have 2 falling off in May as well.

By mid-May, I should have my util down to 1-3%, with all cards having <10% util. As far as the baddies go, unless PRA gets sued, I'm stuck with them until 2021. All others will be gone by October of this year.

Anyways, my question is what would be the best time to request CLIs or possibly app for a more prime card with a higher SL? My tuition alone would be 2500 and my highest SL is $1000 (which no doubt is because of my util & baddies). Would it be in May when my util is low (it hasn't been this low since before I started rebuilding)? Or should I just wait as long as I can after that? I know that Cap 1 credit steps would happen for me in early September, so I'd obviously want to try to get a CLI before that.

And by the way, I'm only aiming for AMEX or a better Cap 1 card at this point. Barclays has flat out told me to see them in September, Citi & BoA haven't even noticed me, and Chase has 5/24 so I'd be limited to their co-branded cards.

Obviously you want to wait until your UTI is down. Make sure you pare the balances down to 4 cards or less, none above 10%. I would wait as long as possible in the hopes they soft pull after the balances are down - that would give you the best CLI. Make sure you are putting max usage through the two Cap One cards and paying in full.

The thing to keep in mind is that with Cap One, CLI requests do NOT generate a pull of your files, hard or soft, but rather they routinely soft pull every few months and a CLI will be based off the last soft pull they did.

If you purchase a hard copy of your reports directly from the CRA's, you will be able to see their soft pulls....

Message 2 of 10
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I and a few others around here have gotten Cap One CLIs after 63 days.  My two cards went from $500 each to $1500 each just after two months from account opening.  Better Cap One cards are going to require at least six months if not a year of history with them.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TU - 1 coll (PRA)

Obviously you want to wait until your UTI is down. Make sure you pare the balances down to 4 cards or less, none above 10%. I would wait as long as possible in the hopes they soft pull after the balances are down - that would give you the best CLI. Make sure you are putting max usage through the two Cap One cards and paying in full.

The thing to keep in mind is that with Cap One, CLI requests do NOT generate a pull of your files, hard or soft, but rather they routinely soft pull every few months and a CLI will be based off the last soft pull they did.

If you purchase a hard copy of your reports directly from the CRA's, you will be able to see their soft pulls....

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried getting a CLI on your Amazon?  They have special financing available for purchases over a certain amount and that could help with your laptop purchase.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Capital One you can request a CLI every 6 months and not before.  The good news is it is a soft pull.  The bad news their CLI are usually very small.  Good Luck!  P.S. I would hit your wal mart card for a CLI eveyr month.  Synchrony can be very generious and they only do soft pulls also so it will not effect your credit report.  

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried getting a CLI on your Amazon?  They have special financing available for purchases over a certain amount and that could help with your laptop purchase.  

Sync denied me when my score was at 661, and they referenced only 1 thing - the PRA collection that I can't shake just yet. My TU is pristine if that comes off, which would open up the doors to big CLIs with Sync.

As far as Amazon, it's weird that the laptops that have the special financing (12 or 24 mo interest free) are some of the older laptops. Of the 3 I picked out, none of them fell in that category. I may just try to hold out as long as possible since Dell offers financing through WebBank, but from reviews it seems like you need a very clean record to get a good rate/SL.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did notice they did a SP sometime in late March for me, which might have been used when I did my PC. All of my scores had jumped 20-40 points since my original application, which kinda stinks because I probably could have gotten larger SL but oh well.

Funny thing is with all these denial letters I have from Synchrony, Barclays & Chase, I should easily be able to request a hard copy of at least one credit report. At least those HPs were good for something. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did notice they did a SP sometime in late March for me, which might have been used when I did my PC. All of my scores had jumped 20-40 points since my original application, which kinda stinks because I probably could have gotten larger SL but oh well.

Funny thing is with all these denial letters I have from Synchrony, Barclays & Chase, I should easily be able to request a hard copy of at least one credit report. At least those HPs were good for something. Smiley Very Happy

Last November (11/28/15) they denied my CLI request, quoting a report pull from 9/29/15. a few days later, on December 10, it was approved. Judging from that, I'm geussing they do a soft pull every 60 days...

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

TU - 1 coll (PRA)

As for your laptop, Walmart and Amazon will probably be your best bet, but you will need to get your scores higher before requesting credit limit increases.  You can use you Walmart card at Sam's Club if you have a membership.  There's no easy answer in regards to Cap 1 cards and Chase.  Chase requires a HP to request an increase and your current scores will make it difficult to get an increase.  You might be able to get an increase with Cap 1 between 60-90 days, but unless you are running a lot through the cards, I believe the CLI averages about $1k, and then whatever the credit step amount promised.  As long as you have unresolved delinquent accounts, the Venture and QS are hard to obtain.  I went after the V! because I knew I knew I wouldn't make the spend requirement.  I got Amex with a 660 EX score and limited history.  Haven't had any luck with Citi, BOA, or Chase (don't qualify based on 5/24 rule anyways).  Are you avoiding student loans?  That could be your viable option to pay for your tuition.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.