Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about charge off and IRS reporting

tag
waterpistol
Established Member

Question about charge off and IRS reporting

I had a Chase credit card charged off in 2010 and  I received a letter in the mail October 2013 saying the account was reported to the IRS as income for the year 2013 and they would no longer pursue the debt.  Does this mean I can dispute the tradeline with the CRA's and list the letter as evidence that the debt has been paid since I had to include it as income with my tax filings for 2013? 

Chase still shows a charged off balance on all 3 CRs.  The SOL for this debt doesn't end until December 2014.

Thank you for any help you can provide.  Long time lurker and have learned quite a bit.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about charge off and IRS reporting

@waterpistol wrote:

I had a Chase credit card charged off in 2010 and  I received a letter in the mail October 2013 saying the account was reported to the IRS as income for the year 2013 and they would no longer pursue the debt.  Does this mean I can dispute the tradeline with the CRA's and list the letter as evidence that the debt has been paid since I had to include it as income with my tax filings for 2013? 

Chase still shows a charged off balance on all 3 CRs.  The SOL for this debt doesn't end until December 2014.

Thank you for any help you can provide.  Long time lurker and have learned quite a bit.

Here is some good info on this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2013/05/20/bank-cannot-issue-1099-c-and-subsequently-try-to...

IMO Chase should be reporting 0 balance due, it is legal to report the CO for 7.5 yrs from the DoFD.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.