Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about collection activity

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about collection activity

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of happening.  That's what I want to avoid.

Message 21 of 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Sending a DV is an option, but not without potential peril.

Your DV, if sent within 30 days of dunning notice, will invoke a cease collection bar until they provide verification.

However, the length of any such bar is entirely in their hands.  They can send verification the day the DV is received, and immediately report the collection.

Since you do not question the validity of the debt, verification would most likely be no problem on their part.

It may buy time, and yet it may prompt them to report, thus exerting additional collector pressure.

If credit reporting is your primary concern, you might consider giving the debt collector a call, and offer to enter into a payment plan with them in exchange for an agreement not to report as long as you make the agreed payments.

OOPS! just noticed that the DV was already sent......

Until you hear from them, they are now precluded from any negotiations.

Message 22 of 24
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Ahhhh!  Wish I wouldn've waited until I read this.  The letter is on it's way already.  My original plan was to pay the OC and then GW them.  Now I don't know what to do.

I read about this OC and they sound nasty to deal with.

I'm skeered!

I just don't know what to do.  Pay the OC and hope the CA doesn't report? Pay the CA and hope they don't report and GW the OC?

I...just...don't...know

Message 23 of 24
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Why can't there be a set standard for how these are handled.  The CA's make their own rules and there isn't much we can do about it!

I know, I know.  Pay your bills in the first place.  Which I do now.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.