cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about collection and bankruptcy

tag

Question about collection and bankruptcy

I filed BK in Dec. 2009.  It was discharged in May 2010.  I had an account with AT&T, but due to a financial situation I stopped paying AT&T sometime in the fall of 2009, right before I filed BK.  The account first went into delinquency in January 2010. 

This past August, a collection agency popped up on my EQ and EX reports with the account.  I disputed with EQ that the AT&T account should have been included in my BK, since it first became delinquent 4 months before my BK discharge.  However, EQ came back and said they verified the account as reporting correctly.

Am I right to contend that the account should have been included in the BK?  Or did it have be in deliquency before the BK filing?  I thought any delinquent debt prior to the actual discharge would be wiped out.

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about collection and bankruptcy

Your BK decree will list each debt covered by the order.  If it was not specifically stated in your BK order as being discharged, it is not.

If the debt was verified upon dispute, obviously the creditor/debt collector records do not show its inclusion under your BK order.

If it was, then file a direct dispute with each or both parties reporting a continued debt in your CR, providing a copy of your BK order.

Dont dispute through the CRA, as they dont forward all supporing documentation to the furnisher when using their e-Oscar process.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.