Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about disclosing information

tag
aschlumbohm
Established Member

Question about disclosing information

Hello,

I am trying to help my wife cleanup some of her items on her credit report. She had a collection we were unaware of from Childrens Hospital.   She paid this account in full in 10/2011. I called them today and told them that I am calling on behalf of my wife and wanted to find out if they would do a goodwill deletion.I gave the initial contact my wife's name and the first 5 numbers of her account number.  The woman on the other end was quite firm that her company would not delete the trade lines. She told me that she was under contract from the 3 credit bureaus that she can't do a PFD. I politely asked her what contract she is binded under. She could not provide me with that information. I explained that this is not a PFD, just a goodwill gesture on behalf of her company. She told me that they can't do PFDs. At that point I began requesting additional information about the account. She gave me the contact dates as well as the full account number.

With that said, I didnt think they would be allowed to give me information about my wife's account, such as the full account number and a detailed history of their collection process with her. Does the fact that I said that Im calling on behalf of my wife give them permission to give me her account information?

We were never contacted by children's hospital and we were aware of the debt until they first called my wife on 6/2/2011. At the time, I wasnt aware of myFICO and some of the tools I had at my disposal.  The credit report is showing that it was placed for collection on 5/20/2011.

Do I have any recourse here? Its my understanding that they arent supposed to share personal info unless they can verify the person who is calling. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about disclosing information

@aschlumbohm wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to help my wife cleanup some of her items on her credit report. She had a collection we were unaware of from Childrens Hospital.   She paid this account in full in 10/2011. I called them today and told them that I am calling on behalf of my wife and wanted to find out if they would do a goodwill deletion.I gave the initial contact my wife's name and the first 5 numbers of her account number.  The woman on the other end was quite firm that her company would not delete the trade lines. She told me that she was under contract from the 3 credit bureaus that she can't do a PFD. I politely asked her what contract she is binded under. She could not provide me with that information. I explained that this is not a PFD, just a goodwill gesture on behalf of her company. She told me that they can't do PFDs. At that point I began requesting additional information about the account. She gave me the contact dates as well as the full account number.

With that said, I didnt think they would be allowed to give me information about my wife's account, such as the full account number and a detailed history of their collection process with her. Does the fact that I said that Im calling on behalf of my wife give them permission to give me her account information?

We were never contacted by children's hospital and we were aware of the debt until they first called my wife on 6/2/2011. At the time, I wasnt aware of myFICO and some of the tools I had at my disposal.  The credit report is showing that it was placed for collection on 5/20/2011.

Do I have any recourse here? Its my understanding that they arent supposed to share personal info unless they can verify the person who is calling. Any thoughts?

Thanks

If I read your post correctly, the rep gave you the account number which really doesn't matter cause she still won't be able to discuss the medical reasons. So if you called back and gave them full account number she can tell you a dollar amount owed just cant tell you the medical aspect of it which would be a HIPPA violation and I'm sure she knows the rules on it. 

Message 2 of 3
aschlumbohm
Established Member

Re: Question about disclosing information

You read my post correctly. Thank you for your reply!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.