Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about dispute response

tag
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Question about dispute response

Would TransUnion respond to multiple disputes with separate letters? 

I had a few items that I needed to dispute so I did so on one letter.  I received my written response back and to my dismay, one of the three items were not listed.  I am postive I provided the necessary info for the item that seemingly was not investigated.

My spouse had a CC years ago that was settled for less than owed.  I was not a part of the application, but I am listed as an authorized user on my TransUnion report.  I was not an authorized user and at the time we purposely refrained from me having anything to do with the card.   So, I disputed that it was not mine.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about dispute response

Always file each dispute separately.

They have a totally stupid and arcane disopute resolution process, called e-Oscar, that basically involves the reduction of your dispute to a three digit dispute code.

CRA clerks enter those codes,  Chances are that a mutiple dispute of different derogs was never processed and refrerred to all with whom you disputed.

My advice is to never dispute through a CRA. Use the new direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8). and directly dispute with the party who posted to your CR.

That cuts out the CRA sanitization of your dispute.

Message 2 of 4
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice!

I have been researching more and came across that info.  I will be utilizing that with an item that TransUnion "verified" that I KNOW is wrong.  Therefore, the OC will clear that up.  I just disputed with the credit bureau first because that is what I read.  Which leads to my next question......

Since I already went through the process of sending a certified letter to dispute the one item that wasn't investigated (seemingly), could I just as well try to get it removed by TransUnion  if it has been over 30 days?

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you previously disputed, either through the CRA under FCRA 611(a), or direcltly with the one who posted the disputed information, using the direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8), you have, unfortuntely, driven a major stake into the heart of your ability to conduct further disputes, under either process. That is why your intitial dispute must be complete.

Either process gives them the ability to hold a subsequent dispute as "frivoulous or irrelevant" if it is considered as "substantially the same as a dispute previously submitted by the consumer.."  They can smply hold it to be "frivolous or irrelevant," and dismiss it without consideration on its merits.

They have only one statutory obligation ........ to conduct an initially requested investigation.  Further requests on the same informatiion do not compel additional investigation.

FCRA 611(a)(3)    and FCRA 623(a)(8)

You have one shot to compel investigation of the same information.

I woulud always suggest taking that shot under the direct dispute process with the creditor, and not with a dispute through the CRA.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.