Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about freezing CRA

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Question about freezing CRA

I've read on here about freezing a CRA, which will prevent further inquiries. One problem I've had is CAs doing hard inquiries on my CR, which is messing up my score... and preventing me from applying due to # of inq.

If I freeze a CRA, can CAs still do a hard pull?

Also, how long does it take to "unfreeze" when you're ready to apply for credit again?

Thank you! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about freezing CRA

If the CA is already on your report a freeze won't stop them.

If they aren't, then they shouldn't be able to.

You can do a temporay unfreeze to allow a potential creditor to pull your report.

Message 2 of 37
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you! That's great. 

Does anyone know how long it takes to "unfreeze" and what the process is... even if temporarily for a single creditor?

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 37
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I think you can call the CRA, I'm not real sure.  Look at the CRA website, there should be something there about freezing and unfreezing.

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

Thank you! That's great. 

Does anyone know how long it takes to "unfreeze" and what the process is... even if temporarily for a single creditor?

If you have TU or EX's credit monitoring product, you can unfreeze / freeze online for free.  Otherwise you can do it online, but may have to pay each time depending on your state's law.

EX's credit monitoring does not include free freeze / unfreeze service.  You can freeze / unfreeze online, but generally have to pay unless your state allows it for free.

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

I've read on here about freezing a CRA, which will prevent further inquiries. One problem I've had is CAs doing hard inquiries on my CR, which is messing up my score... and preventing me from applying due to # of inq.

If I freeze a CRA, can CAs still do a hard pull?

Also, how long does it take to "unfreeze" when you're ready to apply for credit again?

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Even if the CA is not yet on your credit report, generally a freeze does not stop them.

A CA collecting on behalf of an existing creditor cannot be frozen out.

Message 6 of 37
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you, O6. That was my main motivation for freezing. I have opted out of all 3 CRAs, so hopefully that will help prevent them from crawling out of the woodwork after the CRTP has long past. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 37
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

Experian told me to unfreeze that I need to contact them (by mail, I believe) and that from the time they receive the letter, it could take about 3 days.  So a good rule of thumb is about 2 weeks before applying with a creditor (that you know uses a specific cra), that you ask the cra to temporarily or permanently unfreeze.  In some states, it costs fees.  It costed me about 10 bucks in CA.

It's not as scary or as hard as some people make out.  Mine was done in about 5 minutes or less.  You then get mailed a specific code that you're supposed to save until you're ready to unfreeze.  BTW, with a security freeze, NOBODY can access your credit report.  Not even you.  It might still be possible for collectors to add stuff to your report BUT without being able to do an inquiry first.  Inquiries are usually only done when you are voluntarily applying for something, and nobody voluntarily applies for a collection agency account.  So it may be possible to add stuff to your report without them hitting your report with an inquiry.  I think it might be illegal for a CA to hit your account with a hard inquiry as though you applied with them.

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shellemilyrose wrote:

Experian told me to unfreeze that I need to contact them (by mail, I believe) and that from the time they receive the letter, it could take about 3 days.  So a good rule of thumb is about 2 weeks before applying with a creditor (that you know uses a specific cra), that you ask the cra to temporarily or permanently unfreeze.  In some states, it costs fees.  It costed me about 10 bucks in CA.

It's not as scary or as hard as some people make out.  Mine was done in about 5 minutes or less.  You then get mailed a specific code that you're supposed to save until you're ready to unfreeze.  BTW, with a security freeze, NOBODY can access your credit report.  Not even you.  It might still be possible for collectors to add stuff to your report BUT without being able to do an inquiry first.  Inquiries are usually only done when you are voluntarily applying for something, and nobody voluntarily applies for a collection agency account.  So it may be possible to add stuff to your report without them hitting your report with an inquiry.  I think it might be illegal for a CA to hit your account with a hard inquiry as though you applied with them.

Every time I have unfrozen EX I have done it online.  You do need your PIN code to do so, though, and it can cost you $10.

That "NOBODY can access your credit report" is false.  The law is quite clear that not only can you still pull your own credit reports, but any pre-existing creditor may also pull them as long as any CA collecting on a pre-existing debt. 

Message 9 of 37
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

It might vary by state then, because in the disclaimer on Experian's website, it clearly stated that in order for me to check my own report, I would have to unfreeze my report.

It could be that they lied to me too.  In fact, that's probably more likely.  EX hates it when consumers freeze thier files, so it's in their best interest to scare the consumers out of doing it, I guess. 

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.