cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about how a collection agency can report.

tag
JakeDaMan

Question about how a collection agency can report.

I have a account with ARS Account Resolution ( a collection agency) they are reporting the debt as Type: Collections. Term 1 month. On my quizzle account it shows up as a instalment account. Its a medical bill so shouldn't it be showing up as Type: medical and no term since I have no payment agreement with them?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about how a collection agency can report.

@JakeDaMan wrote:
I have a account with ARS Account Resolution ( a collection agency) they are reporting the debt as Type: Collections. Term 1 month. On my quizzle account it shows up as a instalment account. Its a medical bill so shouldn't it be showing up as Type: medical and no term since I have no payment agreement with them?

Hi JakeDaMan and welcome to the forums!! I would suggest pulling your reports from annualcreditreport.com you are allowed 1 free report from each of the 3 cra's per yr. Those are the most accurate. I never liked 3rd party sites cause they don't report accurately. 

Message 2 of 9
JakeDaMan

Hi DaBears, I have done that shows up the same way on all three reports. Sorry should have said that.
Message 3 of 9
JakeDaMan

Bump
Message 4 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@JakeDaMan wrote:
Bump

Hi Jake no problem. When did you first became ware of the way they were reporting like that? Have you sent a DV letter (Debt Validation)? just because a CA listed the debt doesn't mean they own it or have collection authority. 

Message 5 of 9
JakeDaMan

Yes I sent a timely DV and they were able to validate. They sent Name of original creditor and the amount I owe only.I requested something that links me to the account but that wasn't sent. I also requested that they prove that they are licensed to collect in my state, they did not. I became aware about a month ago. They have been reporting like this since 2011. Why doesn't type say medical and why do I have a term?
Message 6 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would send a direct dispute to the CA and if they still refuse I would file a formal complaint to the FTC. 

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D) and 16 CFR 660.4, of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

(Provide the following requirements of the rules, as detailed under 16 CFR 660.4):

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommended that you also send,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information to your credit file.

Sincerely, 

Message 7 of 9
JakeDaMan

Could I use this as leverage in a PFD letter? My ultimate goal is to have this deleted off my credit reports. Its $471 and inside the SOL. If so would you offer the full amount?

Message 8 of 9
JakeDaMan

bump

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.