cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about installment loan over the limit?!?

tag
SupraTurbo2jz
Regular Contributor

Question about installment loan over the limit?!?

Hello my fellow fico'rs Smiley Happy really quick question so I can plan out my next move...I have a student loan with Sallie Mae and due to various reasons it shows a balance of 5278 to a limit of 4994...I know if this was a revolving debt account such as a credit card it would have a big impact...my question is how much of an impact is this student loan having on my credit being over the limit...Im trying to purchase a home in about 3 months and I've got my revolving debt down to about 38% to limit and I know the impact of being under 9-10% with that just curious how much of an impact installment loans have in this situation. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

CH 7 BK discharged 05/15 goal scores 680 across the board
Current Score: TU 657 EQ 676 EX 657 FICO pull 03/20/17

photo cabelas 3700.jpg
 photo Disney siggy 5000.png photo SWP Premier 2500.png photo virgin america 2300.jpg photo lexus 2500.png photo toyota 2500.png photo kays1500.jpg photo hsn4000.png photo GoodSam 1000.png photo buckle 900.jpg photo af 250.png photo valero.jpg photo fingerhut.jpg
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SupraTurbo2jz
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about installment loan over the limit?!?

no one eeehh?!?

CH 7 BK discharged 05/15 goal scores 680 across the board
Current Score: TU 657 EQ 676 EX 657 FICO pull 03/20/17

photo cabelas 3700.jpg
 photo Disney siggy 5000.png photo SWP Premier 2500.png photo virgin america 2300.jpg photo lexus 2500.png photo toyota 2500.png photo kays1500.jpg photo hsn4000.png photo GoodSam 1000.png photo buckle 900.jpg photo af 250.png photo valero.jpg photo fingerhut.jpg
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about installment loan over the limit?!?

When you take out an installment loan, either you or your desigated payee receives cash in the amount of the contracted loan

If additional obligation is incurred on that account above the amount you/your designee received, that is increased debt.

It shows others doing a manual review of your CR that you have accrued additional debt above the asset you received in the form of the loan, and have yet to reduce the principal on the borrowed $$.  It raises the obvious question.... what happened in the consumer's handling of the debt that caused a normally fixed amount of money borrowed to increase in obligation?

I dont think it will be much of a FICO scoring issue, as % owed on installments are normally very high, and are not a major FICO scoring factor.

Its impact will most likely by more of the questions it is apt to raise by a prospective lendor in your handling of the loan.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.