Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about late payments

tag
samdubs
Contributor

Question about late payments

When you dispute a late payment and the company admits that you were not late and returns your late fee are you able to dispute this with the Credit Reporting Agencies?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
0x47
Contributor

Re: Question about late payments

If you have it in writing, go dispute it right now.  If it is not taken care of promptly, you might be able to sue for violation of the FDCRA.

Message 2 of 7
samdubs
Contributor

I should get the receipt for the fees being refunded in the mail in 5 days is what the rep told me. I will dispute with one CRA first and see how it goes.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Handling by way of dispute of the accuracy via the CRAs is a really around-the-barn hassle that is unecessary.

The creditor is required by statute to take care of it on their own without any need for you to put it through the dispute mill.

Under FCRA 623(a)(2), any party who has reported information to a CRA is required to promptly update their reporting so as to maintain its accuracy.

If they have determined their reporting is inaccurate, they have the statutory responsiblility to promptly notify the CRA, and correct or delete as necessary.

It is more than a bit silly to send a dispute of accuracy to the CRA wherein the creditor has already acknowledged that they cannot verify the accuracy.

The CRA will forward to the creditor, the credtior will be unable to verify, and a lot of trouble has been expended over an admitted inaccuracy.

Section 623(a)(2) is intended to obviate such silliness.

I would call the creditor and remind them of their statutory requirement under section 623(a)(2) to promptly correct their own reporting.

If they waffle, then send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), with basis being their failure to have updated the admittedly inaccurate reporting.

I would keep the CRA out of the entire process.  They have no part to play other than as a middle-man, and may muck it up by use of their e-Oscar electronic dispute process, by which they wont forward your documentation and related arguments to the creditor.

Message 4 of 7
samdubs
Contributor

ThAnks Robert
Message 5 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@0x47 wrote:

If you have it in writing, go dispute it right now.  If it is not taken care of promptly, you might be able to sue for violation of the FDCRA.

You mean FCRA. I highly doubt a lawsuit will accomplish anything on a 30 day late. There is mistakes all the time on Credit Reports!!! I would understand if they changed the DoFD or the CA knowingly reported a account that was paid in full to the OC put still kept it listed on a CR.

Message 6 of 7
0x47
Contributor

Mistakes happen, fine.  But when they are pointed out and not corrected, that is when I am less forgiving Smiley Happy.  Anyway, good luck resolving it!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.