Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about medical SOL in California

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about medical SOL in California

I have an old paid medical collection account from 2005. It is still being reported on my CRs. I did some light Googling but can't find a clear answer about the SOL as far as reporting is concerned. I think the SOL is 4 years, but is that for collecting or reporting? Should I dispute the entry on my CRs as past the SOL? Also- I don't know if it makes a difference, but I lived in Nevada when the debt was incurred, I've since moved to CA.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about medical SOL in California

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an old paid medical collection account from 2005. It is still being reported on my CRs. I did some light Googling but can't find a clear answer about the SOL as far as reporting is concerned. I think the SOL is 4 years, but is that for collecting or reporting? Should I dispute the entry on my CRs as past the SOL? Also- I don't know if it makes a difference, but I lived in Nevada when the debt was incurred, I've since moved to CA.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Welcome to the forums.

I think you might be confusing SOL = Statute of Limitations and CRTP = Credit Reporting Time Period.

The SOL protects consumers from being sued for a debt past a certain time period which varies from state to state.

The CRTP is the length of time an account can remain on your credit report. In this case a collection cannot remain longer than 7.5 years from the DOFD (Date of First Delinquency). No other date matters. You need to know the DOFD to calculate when this collection will no longer be reported.

There are several ways to try and find the DOFD. You can look at your free credit reports at annualcreditreport.com. Equifax will show the DOFD. Experian and Transunion will show how long accounts will continue to be reported. Pulling a report from third party sites will not have the proper information. You also can call the OC (Original Creditor) and ask them about the DOFD. Also if you're very good about keeping records (I confess I'm not) you might be able to find the date yourself.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about medical SOL in California

CA SOL on medical debt is 4 years.  That means they could not sue and win if you showed up in court and used expired SOL as a defense.

It can remain on your CR for 7 - 7.5 years from the DoFD.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.