Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about old debt

tag
ironsight
Valued Member

Question about old debt

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with.  I have a debt that is close to 9 or 10 years old to a University (directly to the school, not to a student loan).  It is a small debt (around $2500).  It was sent to a CA 9 years ago, and has since fallen off of my CR.  I called the school recently to get a copy of my transcripts and they have a hold on all of my accounts.  They will not release them until the debt is reported paid.

My question is, if I pay the CA the $2500, will it show back up on my CR?  I live in Indiana if that helps.

Thanks for any responses.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about old debt

NO, that would be called re-aging and its against the law. The 7 yr time frame for negative entries is only served once.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about old debt

+1

Under the FCRA, exclusion of any collection on a debt occurs based upon one date certain, which is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

No subsequent activities alter that date-certain.

However, as you are finding, exclusion from your credit report does not erase the debt, and it can still be a factor in efforts to obtain credit or in dealing with the creditor.

You have no worry about it reappearing in your credit report for any reason.

You dont even have to raise any issue with them asking for non-reporting when negotiating payment.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.