cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about paying a collection to the original creditor...

tag
canondvd
Established Member

Question about paying a collection to the original creditor...

A few weeks ago a collection (Enhanced Recovery) hit my TU & EX.  This was the first contact, I received nothing in the mail beforehand from the CA.  I sent a DV letter (CRRR) to the CA to get further information.  It was the balance of a closed DirecTV account from 2010.  They sent me a letter which noted...

"...in acknowledgement of your dispute, we have requested the account be removed from all credit reporting agencies."  

It was indeed removed.  Included with their letter was a statement from DirecTV and a letter from DirecTV which stated...

"Please remit the balance due, in the amount of xxx.xx, to the following address, to avoid further collection action."

The payment address is for DirecTV and not the CA.

I plan to pay this today.  I'm going to send it with delivery confirmation.

Is there anyway the CA can put it back on my credit report as a paid collection? or since I paid it to DirecTV directly in full, can I avoid that?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia1123
Contributor

Re: Question about paying a collection to the original creditor...

Hello,

What is the CA name?

My Fico Score :554 (07/26/13)
Goal:720

Message 2 of 6
canondvd
Established Member

Cynthia1123 wrote:

Hello,

What is the CA name?

Enhanced Recovery

Message 3 of 6
soccer5
Regular Contributor

OP states Enhanced Recovery is the CA. I've never heard of them.

Starting Score: EX 549 EQ 465 TU 477
Current Score: EX 714 EQ 681 TU 727 EX Fico (PSECU) 683 EQ Fico 676 (MyFico) TU Fico (WalMart) 701 as of 6/6/2014
Goal Score: 700's
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, yes, they could report again, but are very unlikely to do so.

With the collection now being paid, reporting would serve no business purpose on their part.

Additionally, their voluntary deletion indicates that, even prior to payment, they did not want credit reporting hassle issues.

However, considering the unlikely possiblity that they do, you could challenge on the basis that:

(1) they never provided debt verification, and thus reporting is barred based on your unanswered DV.

In my opinion, not a great argument, as your payment would inherently obviate any issue of verification, and their reporting would additionally no longer be an action related to collection on the debt, as their collection was closed upon payment.

(2) payment to the OC terminated their collection authority, and based on the CRA policy that a terminated collection should be deleted by the debt collector, any such reporting should be deleted.  No FCRA requriment that they delete the accurate reporting of having had collection authority, but reliance on CRA reporting instructions.

I see little or no reason for the debt collector to want to get involved in those esoteric arguments.

I would assume they will move on to bigger issues.

Message 5 of 6
canondvd
Established Member

Thanks Robert!  I appreciate your help!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.