Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about paying off a sold debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about paying off a sold debt

I have an old collection with Comcast. The debt has been sold various times and each time they delete the collection of my report and a couple months later it shows up with a new creditor. It was removed about 7 months ago and I just received a letter in the mail that said I had 30 days to pay the collection and they would not report to 3 credit agencies. Does anyone have experience with this? Does the creditor hold up their end of the deal? Is there a chance they will report it, just as paid this time? Also, does the 7 year period restart each time it is sold? I am trying to weigh my options on paying it or not? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dman23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about paying off a sold debt

I don't have firsthand experience but I know I researched this and the seven year period does not restart every time it goes to a new CA.

All my baddies have fallen off no later than 7 years from Date of First Deliquency.

You owe it...pay it. Why is stiffing someone you owe money an option?

myFico Score Experian: Start (4/21/14) 626 Current (5/7/16) 841
myFico Score Equifax: Start (4/30/14) 694 Current (5/6/16) 838
myFico Score Transunion Start (5/01/2014) 727 Current (5/7/16) 842
Discover (4/24/14) 659 (5/5/16) 842
Message 2 of 4
dave36021
Regular Contributor

are you sure it is sold ? If you are sure that Comcast no longer owns it then pay the Collection Agency. If Comcast still owns it then pay comcast as the Collection Agency will have no authority to collect or report it. It will not reset the 7 year clock no matter who you pay, unless you make some type of payment plan and default on that.

I had Comcast collectionon my reports that went to several collectionagencies but they still owned the debt. It was neat the seven year mark and finally jsy fell off my reports.

Back In the Garden since 6/5/2016

My Fico Scores: EQ:639 EX:665 TU:651

AU: Comenity/Bealls FL 930; Capital One 300 ;
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they have made a statement in an attempt to collect the debt that if you pay by X, they will do (or not do) Y, that is a contract that you can enforce.

I would assume they will comply, and I would pay.

If the OC does, in fact, still own the debt, simply paying the OC will not require deltion of any currentlly reported collection, or prevent a debt collector who has obtained collection auhority prior to your paymentof the debt from still reporting.

I would not, if the OC still owns the debt, simply pay them and assume the debt collector cant or wont report.  Pay the debt collector if they hae stated they wont report, regardless of whether the OC still owns the debt, as that is their contract offer, regardless of ownership.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.