Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about really old debts...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about really old debts...

hi all...
this has been a very informative site and has helped me a great deal with starting to clean up an ugly past.
however, i have a question that i haven't seen addressed as of yet.
to be quick, i was divorced about 10 years ago and was forced into giving up all of my share of assets in lieu of him taking all of our credit card debt. he kept the assets and our business and was to pay the debt.
he never did.
i was not in any position to pay on my own as he left me with nothing and then i recently began find i was left with the debt as well.
i have since began pulling my reports and trying to clean up any negatives, now i am getting letters from ca's on debt that is no longer even on my credit reports.
i am leaving out a million details of course to save time and space here, but i am not certain what to do on this as all of it has fallen off of my reports.
i am looking to hopefully buy a house within the next year and any advice would be appreciated as i know a mortgage pull is a bit different than a pull for a credit card (at least i believe i am correct on that from what i have read). and i am not certain if this antique stuff will show up or not.
i am in texas and i know all of what they are trying to collect on is way past the sol.
thanks in advance for any and all advice.
~c
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about really old debts...

Negative accounts can remain 7-7.5 years from DOFD.

The important dates are DOFD and DOLA.

SOL runs from DOLA.  CRTP runs from DOFD.

For the time being, I"d forget about the debts that are past SOL and past CRTP. If they sue, you can use "past SOL" as your defense. If they re-age and place back on your report, dispute "based on FCRA complaince date"

I'd worry about items that are within SOL and CRTP.

As for CCC and mortgage lenders pulling your reports.......they'll see the same.

ETA: If you need more help, just list your accounts, account types, DOLA, DOFD, and if SOL has expired. Tell what you have/haven't done and the members here will more than happy to help.

It is very common for old junk debt buyers to start coming out of the woodwork when you start cleaning up your credit. Kind of like when the poor uncle wins the lotto.....hears from relatives that haven't spoke to him in years.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 06-04-2008 03:41 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.