Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about rebuilding credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about rebuilding credit

Starting rebuilding last may. Have went from a score of 534 to a score of 660 on CK and 679 on my monthly fico score from my current bank (DCU).

Right now I have about 11 CC's with a "credit builder loan". I don't use some of these cards anymore. I assume to not cancel them or it could hit my score hard?

I'm trying to think ahead and what i'll even need in the future for cards.

Right now I have mostly store cards with a few big names cards along with 2 secured cards that I plan on keeping until they unsecure.

My overall question is... Should I cancel any of these anytime soon? I have a few that mean nothing to me and probably wont in the near future (EX: Fingerhut, Overstock, JCPenny, etc).

What route should I take? I don't want to hurt my AAOA?

I don't make "great money" so I know I won't need any crazy cards anytime soon, but what should my overall need? 3-6 cards with good limits? A Mixture of cards just to keep my utilization down, even though its pretty low anyway?

My score has been around the same past few months. I don't max my cards out, just use them for things I would normally buy and mostly pay the amount I spend back before the statement cuts. I'm trying to get my score to 700 by spring so I can buy a brand new car which is my ultimate goal.

Any advice welcomed.

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Question about rebuilding credit

I would ax any store cards you don't use first. Store cards aren't useful anyway outside the store. Then, any bank cards you don't use and/or that have an AF I would cut. Closing down accounts won't impact your score unless you had high utilization and low total credit available. The only thing that might impact you down the road is AAoA, but even then, closed accounts still show on your CR for 10 years so by then you should be okay.

And for score optimization, it's best to have all cards except for one reporting zero balance. The one that does report a balance should be at no more than ~10% utilization as well.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the cards don't have an annual fee. Let them be. No need to close them as well. Apply for an easy to get prime card say a cap one quick silver visa or a discover. Use their prequal sites and see if you qualify. You deserve decent rewards cards with no AF at your scores.
Message 3 of 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

I agree if they have no annual fee you should keep them open.  I would let the credit gurrantor close them for non useage as opposed to closing them yourself.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.