Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about removed collection popping back up

tag
sreneesa
Frequent Contributor

Question about removed collection popping back up

Hi y'all!

Today I woke up this am, with an alert from EQ saying I had a collections added to my report. This collection is a "removed collection" from 9/2015. I noticed that it has been sold to another collections agency. I'm in California. 

Can they bring back my "removed collection?" It hought they couldn't do that.

Thank you ahead of time.... FYI, my score actually went up from 697 to 704.

Uggg.... pisses me off how they brung it back up. Had no collections on EQ. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: Question about removed collection popping back up

How old is the debt? If its more 7.5 years old then just dispute it with EQ. If it's not then it can pop back up on your report as one collector sells it to another one.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sreneesa wrote:

Hi y'all!

Today I woke up this am, with an alert from EQ saying I had a collections added to my report. This collection is a "removed collection" from 9/2015. I noticed that it has been sold to another collections agency. I'm in California. 

Can they bring back my "removed collection?" It hought they couldn't do that.

Thank you ahead of time.... FYI, my score actually went up from 697 to 704.

Uggg.... pisses me off how they brung it back up. Had no collections on EQ. 

Hi sreneesa,

Just some questions for you....  Why was the collection removed from you EQ in the first place (due to age, dispute, etc)?

I short though, the answer is yes from what I understand and the following "might" apply in your situation but not certatin without more information...

If an item in your credit report was not 'verified' in a timely manner, which is typically 30 days after receipt of a dispute, it must be removed as the credit bureau is not allowed to maintain information that is not verifiable. BUT, let's say that on day thirty something, that they verify the information, then the credit bureau can reinsert the item into your credit reports.

Sooo... give us a little more information and let's see if we can properly/accurately answer your question.

Message 3 of 11
sreneesa
Frequent Contributor

That''s the problem. I can't tell how old it is. I did look on credit karma but still cannot tell when the original date was. It only shows when this CA reported, which was Nov 2015 and when it last reported, which was 12/26/15.

I have no clue when it was originally reported. I guess, Ill have to wait until Monday and call EQ and ask them what's going on. I guess, I ll expect a collection to be reported on TU as well since this collection was removed at the same time EQ was removed back in 9/2015 and apparently sold to First National.

Well, if it hasn't been the 7.5 years, I'm thinking ill have a few years for this bs to keep hitting my  reports. I know its at least five years old. Looks like it was sold and then reappeared. I will check on Monday with EQ.

Thank you y'all.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sreneesa wrote:

That''s the problem. I can't tell how old it is. I did look on credit karma but still cannot tell when the original date was. It only shows when this CA reported, which was Nov 2015 and when it last reported, which was 12/26/15.

I have no clue when it was originally reported. I guess, Ill have to wait until Monday and call EQ and ask them what's going on. I guess, I ll expect a collection to be reported on TU as well since this collection was removed at the same time EQ was removed back in 9/2015 and apparently sold to First National.

Well, if it hasn't been the 7.5 years, I'm thinking ill have a few years for this bs to keep hitting my  reports. I know its at least five years old. Looks like it was sold and then reappeared. I will check on Monday with EQ.

Thank you y'all.

Let me ask you this.... when did you last obtain a free credit report through Equifax directly?

Message 5 of 11
sreneesa
Frequent Contributor

I received a report last month through myfico. Collections wasn't listed.

Through EQ, last year...do not remember exactly when..

Message 6 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reinsertion of previously deleted information is controlled under FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

It applies only to situations where the information has been deleted from a consumer's file by a CRA based on a dispute where the furnisher failed to provide the CRA with verification of accuracy of the disputed information or correction of the information.

In situations where information deleted based on a dispute is requested to be reinserted by any party, the requested reinsertion must be accompanied by a Certification of Accuracy of the information, thus overcoming the prior lack of verification of accuracy that led to its deletion.

If the CRA reinserts, they (the CRA) must send notice to the consumer of the reinsertion within 5 business days.

If the information was deleted for any reason other than as a finding in a prior dispute, the FCRA has no special provisions that must be followed in order to reinsert.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sreneesa wrote:

I received a report last month through myfico. Collections wasn't listed.

Through EQ, last year...do not remember exactly when..

Thanks for the reply.  You might want to go here to see if you qualify for a free or discounted report.... Equifax Credit Report Assistance.

Message 8 of 11
sreneesa
Frequent Contributor

Thank you!

I'll check on that. Just disputed it online. Ill also call Monday before I head out the country on a much needed vacation... This is going to bother me until Im able to find out original collections date... Smh.... 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sreneesa wrote:

Thank you!

I'll check on that. Just disputed it online. Ill also call Monday before I head out the country on a much needed vacation... This is going to bother me until Im able to find out original collections date... Smh.... 

You are more than welcome! Have safe travels, and keep us posted.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.