Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about resetting a debt

tag
golo
Frequent Contributor

Question about resetting a debt

Hi to all, I started the journey to clean my report and I've been reading this great forum to the point that I'm overwhelm,thank you all for your contributions question is if I dispute a debt or have the CRA's do it will reset the "so call clock" on the debt? Who if I try to settle? Will that wake up the hornets nest?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about resetting a debt

Disputing will not reset the clock on a debt unless you bring it back to current and default again. Are these items out of the SOL for your state? Whats your credit picture??

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 6
golo
Frequent Contributor

Hi,thank you for replying,how do I bring them back? ( sorry for my lack of knowledge) they're right around the SOL,i just want to clean my report after going tru a divorce.i have several baddies,and some of them will drop next year,I would just want to settle some that won't drop till next year and beyond,I'm trying to fix my credit so one day,one day,Smiley Sad I will buy a house Smiley Happy
Thanks in advance
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Neither a dispute nor a DV will reset any periods under the FCRA, but I have a basic question....what is meant by "disputing the debt?"

A request for debt verification, or a dispute over accuracy of their reporting?

If the debt is either invalid or reporting inaccurately, do you want that resolved prior to entering into any negotiations to settle the debt?

I am not sure exactly what the plan is.....

Message 4 of 6
golo
Frequent Contributor

I meant disputing and or validating,anything that I could do to check if the debt collection is right,but I know that I defaulted in a cc a couple of years ago and now I'm trying to see if I could settle,I guess I grew up.,sighs, Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
golo
Frequent Contributor

bumpSmiley Embarassed

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.