Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about student loan

tag
Mellykca
New Contributor

Question about student loan

I am in the process of trying to rebuild my credit, but I am unsure what to do with my student loan. I do not owe a lot and I have recently received a letter about garnishing my taxes. Should I pay it, try to make a payment arrangements or just let them garnish my taxes? I guess I am not sure what my options are and what would be the best as far as my credit goes. 

Also, it shows up twice on my credit reports. Could somone tell me why? 

This is from my Experian report 

U S DEPT OF ED/GSL/ATL

Potentially Negative Closed

No Phone Provided More Account Details

Account NameU S DEPT OF ED/GSL/ATL  
Account #1588XXXX  
Account TypeEducation Loan  
Balance$1,901.00  
Date Opened2/1/2011 
US DEPT OF ED/GLELSI

Potentially Negative Closed

No Phone Provided More Account Details

Account NameUS DEPT OF ED/GLELSI  
Account #11579XXXX  
Account TypeEducation Loan  
Balance   
Date Opened2/1/2011
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
blitz
Valued Member

Re: Question about student loan

If they are garnishing your taxes, that means you've defaulted. Default is death for your credit. I would suggest entering loan rehabilitation - make 9 voluntary (meaning NO GARNISHING OF WAGES) payments, your debt gets picked up by another lender by the 10th month (usually), and you're back in good standing with the default off your credit. 

Starting Score: AVG 529 (5/2013)
Current Score: 626 (03/2014) - Barclaycard FICO
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Mellykca
New Contributor

Do I need to contact them and tell them I am doing this or just send them payments? 

Message 3 of 9
Nola_Bee
Contributor

I'd also like to hear an expert opinion on this.. my one student loan is reporting twice on my reports. At one point it was delinquent, but I have since paid it off.

Message 4 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

Student loans, while often grouped into one payment are usually multiple accounts if they have never undergone a consolidation.  See the different account numbers?  You have two loans, and when you make a payment some of the money goes to each.

As Blitz mentioned, you are likely in default.  This is not a good place to be... but luckily there is hope.  You need to go through the rehab process.  For more information, look at this: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/default/get-out

Message 5 of 9
Mellykca
New Contributor

Just to make sure I understand.... I contact the agency that is handling the loan and we will set up payments for me to begin repaying on? Will is show on my credit report that I am making payments on the loan again?  Also, is it better to make the payments or should I just pay it in full? (Sorry for all the questions!) 

Message 6 of 9
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@blitz wrote:

If they are garnishing your taxes, that means you've defaulted. Default is death for your credit. I would suggest entering loan rehabilitation - make 9 voluntary (meaning NO GARNISHING OF WAGES) payments, your debt gets picked up by another lender by the 10th month (usually), and you're back in good standing with the default off your credit. 

this is what I did, and what worked for me. now my student loan shows in good standing, and another lender picked me up and i'm paying that monthly on time and i'm good.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 9
Mellykca
New Contributor

So is it better to make the monthy payments than to pay it off?

Message 8 of 9
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Mellykca wrote:

So is it better to make the monthy payments than to pay it off?

Yes because if you pay them off, and they have already defaulted, and from them garnishing your taxes they are in default, it will show up as paid delinquency. That will remain on your record for 7 years Despite them being paid in full. The delinquency will remain there. 

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.