cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about weighting "baddies" and need help recovering!

tag
kleahc
New Contributor

Question about weighting "baddies" and need help recovering!

I also posted this in the "Unerstanding Scores" board, because I wasn't sure what it would fall under. Please excuse if you saw it twice!!

OK, the history... after a couple of years of medical issues and an ongoing battle with the insurance company, I was left with awful credit. Like, 500 scores all around. I spent two years rebuilding it all, and was at 670-mid score on FreeCreditReport.com

All of a sudden (I guess because they buy the credit alerts) three collections pop on my report from 2011, 2011, and 2008. I paid off the 2011 ones immediately, but the collection agency won't delete them unless I also pay off the 2008 one which I can't afford to do. So now my FreeCreditReport.com score is a mid-590.

Two questions:

1. When I pull my score here on MyFico, I have a mid-615. I realize they all use different scoring systems, but I wonder, is medical debt weighted differently than credit card debt? Or is there another reason why this is so different from the FreeCreditReport one?

2. I have zero baddies outside of the medical debts, and all of those were deleted except for the 2 paid, and one unpaid from 2008. I have great payment history on my 3 credit cards (they are all about 2 1/2- 3 years old) and have finished paying off the one auto loan I had, and was never late. I have no other loans, no bankruptcies, no late payments outside of the medical bill. How in the world can I get my scores up?? It seems like they are really low for having only the few baddies on there, and the one unpaid being so old. (When I put all of my information into the Score Estimator, it said I should have scores ranging from 609-740... what am I doing wrong? Really need to get these scores up!)

Thanks for any help understanding, and for ANY help in how to raise these scores!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about weighting "baddies" and need help recovering!

@kleahc wrote:

I also posted this in the "Unerstanding Scores" board, because I wasn't sure what it would fall under. Please excuse if you saw it twice!!

OK, the history... after a couple of years of medical issues and an ongoing battle with the insurance company, I was left with awful credit. Like, 500 scores all around. I spent two years rebuilding it all, and was at 670-mid score on FreeCreditReport.com

All of a sudden (I guess because they buy the credit alerts) three collections pop on my report from 2011, 2011, and 2008. I paid off the 2011 ones immediately, but the collection agency won't delete them unless I also pay off the 2008 one which I can't afford to do. So now my FreeCreditReport.com score is a mid-590.

Two questions:

1. When I pull my score here on MyFico, I have a mid-615. I realize they all use different scoring systems, but I wonder, is medical debt weighted differently than credit card debt? Or is there another reason why this is so different from the FreeCreditReport one?  No, a medical collection is weighted the same as any other collection.

2. I have zero baddies outside of the medical debts, and all of those were deleted except for the 2 paid, and one unpaid from 2008. I have great payment history on my 3 credit cards (they are all about 2 1/2- 3 years old) and have finished paying off the one auto loan I had, and was never late. I have no other loans, no bankruptcies, no late payments outside of the medical bill. How in the world can I get my scores up?? It seems like they are really low for having only the few baddies on there, and the one unpaid being so old. (When I put all of my information into the Score Estimator, it said I should have scores ranging from 609-740... what am I doing wrong? Really need to get these scores up!)  Collections are scored the same, paid or unpaid.  Depending on your score at the time and how many other negatives, even one collection can have a severe impact on your score.  They can weigh down your score until removed.

Thanks for any help understanding, and for ANY help in how to raise these scores!!!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.