cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Collection (Mid Michigan Collection Bureau)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on Collection (Mid Michigan Collection Bureau)

I have a $116 collection account with Mid Michigan Collection Bureau for a medical debt. I have never heard from them, but am 99.9% sure the debt is legit. It says on my reports that it was opened/reported in June of 2010. Anyways, I was going to mail them a PFD letter, but am confused on exactly what could happen. If they reject it, will this affect the time it will fall off on its own? 

I havent seen anything on the forums regarding this agency so I dont know if they are open to PFD's. Im tempted to let it go since I havent ever heard from them, it doesnt look like they report monthly at all or anything either. I have the money to PFD, but I am afraid that if its rejected and I pay it anyways, it will report again and drop scores, as well as take longer to drop off. Does anyone have any experience with this agency?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question on Collection (Mid Michigan Collection Bureau)

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a $116 collection account with Mid Michigan Collection Bureau for a medical debt. I have never heard from them, but am 99.9% sure the debt is legit. It says on my reports that it was opened/reported in June of 2010. Anyways, I was going to mail them a PFD letter, but am confused on exactly what could happen. If they reject it, will this affect the time it will fall off on its own? No

I havent seen anything on the forums regarding this agency so I dont know if they are open to PFD's. Im tempted to let it go since I havent ever heard from them, it doesnt look like they report monthly at all or anything either. I have the money to PFD, but I am afraid that if its rejected and I pay it anyways, it will report again and drop scores, as well as take longer to drop off. Does anyone have any experience with this agency?

If its rejected you have the option of not paying it, if they accept it and then report it as a paid collection you have them on breech of contract.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I understand. If they reject it though, cant they start updating it monthly? Also, if I were to end up paying it even if they reject the PFD and they update the account, will that increase the time? Sorry if Im asking dumb questions, I just dont want to proceed and end up screwing myself for another 7 years. Thanks

Message 3 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, I understand. If they reject it though, cant they start updating it monthly? Also, if I were to end up paying it even if they reject the PFD and they update the account, will that increase the time? Sorry if Im asking dumb questions, I just dont want to proceed and end up screwing myself for another 7 years. Thanks

They could update it but the odds are against it since its not doing so now, it would cost them money to do each update. The amount of time it can be on your CRs never changes once the OC sets the DoFD, its always 7.5 years max from that point. Its a calculated risk when you start to clean up your reports on what they may or may not do. Its medical and anecdotal evidence suggests the odds of deletion are good with these type of collections.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke with the original doctors office to see if I could pay them and have them recall the collection, and they told me that they dont do that and there is nothing they will do for me at this point. Figured thats what I would be told. Im still debating whether or not I should attempt a PFD. It is listed as "open collection" but the last reported date is August of 2010. Im just afraid that if they reject the PFD and I pay it anyways to satisfy the debt, that they will update the account and I will take a big hit since it will be reported again after 4.5-5 years. 

I want to pay it whether they PFD or not, just so I dont end up with a judgement, or run into more problems if I sat and waited until it got closer to falling off. SO WORRIED!!!! Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on this issue.... So I was stupid when I contacted the original Doctor to see about recalling the collection and never asked what the date of first delinquency was. I have tried calling back and they told me that the file wasnt immediately available? I remembered I had printed off a Experian credit report from April of 2014, and thought I would check that to see if it listed the estimated date it would fall off.

My EIDT credit monitoring just shows the CA having an open date of April 2010, but I thought the DoFD was before that yet.... The Experian report from 2014 shows that the collection account will be removed from my file in December 2015. So does this give me my DoFD of December 2008?

If so, should I even bother with this agency? What I was thinking now, was to let it fall off in December if that is accurate, and then call them up and offer maybe like 25%. Its only $116 but if its that close to falling off and it hasnt been updated since June 2010, I really dont want to mess with it right now. I just hope the December of this year fall off date is accurate, as the SOL would be past now and I cant be sued correct?

Any advice on how I should handle this would be appreciated, but Im thinking I should just leave it be. Thanks in advance!!

Message 7 of 12
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

It hasn't been updating since 2010 and it's about to fall off.  I would honestly just leave it alone and try for an early exclusion three months before. One thing you DON'T want is for them to start updating monthly. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right, that is my main concern. I wish i had another way to verify the DoFD, as Im not sure if what Experian shows on the report is accurate? The Doctors office is not cooperating with me right now at all. All I have confirmed is the CA opened the collection in April of 2010 and last reported June of 2010.

Message 9 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector was required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to have obtainded and reported the DOFD on the OC account within 90 days after reporting of their collection.

The reported DOFD is thus of record in your file, but unfortunately many commercial credit reports done include that important information.

Annualcreditreport.com will normally proivde the reported DOFD.

If it is not shown in your report from annualcreditreport.com or you have used up your free reports for the year, then you can send a request to the CRA under the provisions of FCRA 609(a), which permits consumers to obtain any information of record in their credit file. 

Section 609(a) requests must be accompanied by proof of your identitiy and the current processing fee, which is $11.00/

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.