Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Disputed Collection Account

tag
kklblue5
Established Member

Question on Disputed Collection Account

I had an unexpected collection account appear on my credit report.  Yes it was something I owed. I contacted the CA asked for a paid in full for removal, they stated they do not do that.  They also stated that if I dispute the item by saying "paid in full prior to collection", that they wouldn't respond to the inquiry from the credit bureaus.  I disputed all three TU, EQ, and EX.  So far I have received deletions from TU and EX, but nothing from Equifax.  Does it take Equifax longer.  When I pulled my credit Equifax is showing that its a collection account with a zero balance, but not removed.  It has NOT been 30 days yet, so am I jumping the gun.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

So far my scores went from TU 570, EQ 541 to 3/4/11 TU 708 and EQ 633.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Question on Disputed Collection Account

I'm confused, is this a paid collection? How did you contact the CA,by phone or mail?

With EQ showing a balance of $0, it is still hurting your CS,but as you know, if removed you may see a score jump.

Now if the this is an unpaid collection, they may have just sold it to another CA.

IME, contacting a CA by phone, most of the time they will not agree to a PFD,but sending a PFD by mail they may feel differently and delete.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
kklblue5
Established Member

When I pulled my credit report, i found an account that went to collection.  I contacted the collection agency and the collecation agency told me that when I paid the $75.00 in full that if I disputed the item (paid in full prior to collection) on all 3 credit reports that they would not respond to the inquiry from the credit bureau would have to remove it..  So far TU and EX  have removed the item completely.  However, EQ has not done anything, but it has not been 30 days.  

Is it to soon?

Message 3 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I afraid since they changed the balance to $0, they do not indent to delete.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am confused about their statement.  It is already under collection.  If you PIF now, what would be the basis for a dispute?  How would you show that you paid prior to collection?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.