Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on debt to credit ratio for the forum experts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on debt to credit ratio for the forum experts

When you guys talk about increasing your score quickly from paying down your balances, do you mean on the revolving accounts? I have a large student loan and mortgage and their debt to credit ratio is going to be hard to change. I do have about 15,000 credit in revolving accounts with about 10,000 balance. My mortgage and student loans though total about 400,000. My real question is if I pay down those balances on the credit cards to zero, will my credit score get a very large jump since they are revolving or will the large size of the other accounts simply dwarf those and therefore my score might go up but only 10 points or so?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Question on debt to credit ratio for the forum experts

10000 out of 15000 is a lot and I don't have the calculator but it's over 50% I know that much.  You will get a huge jump by paying this down.

Your mortgage and SL are installment debt and you will still get a large jump by paying down your revolving debt.  Plus you'll have more money every month!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Thats what I was hoping. Trying to get my score up as high as possible as quick as possible to apply for refi on my mortgage.

Message 3 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

As you can see from my sigs - I got a lot of score movement and it was all from paying down revolving and getting 4 collections deleted.  Only one collection moved my score bc the other 3 were in the middle of my messes.

What are your scores now?  Do you have negs? 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.