Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on how chargeoff is reporting between 2 agencies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on how chargeoff is reporting between 2 agencies

Ok, so I have a Chase Auto chargeoff that is paid but it has discrepancies in how it is reported between Equifax and Experian.  Experian shows Jan, Feb, March 2014 as 30 day lates, with April as 60 and May as 90.  Then nothing until March 2015 where it shows Charged-off.  Equifax shows the same late payment history but with June and December of 2014 as Charge off (nothing between June and December) and January and February 2015 as Charged off.  Can they report it like this?  I have tried goodwilling and disputing with no luck.  

Looks like this :

Equifax

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2015 CO CO   * *
2014 30   30  30   60   90   CO * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  CO
2013 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 30 * * * * * * * *
2012 * * * * * * * * * * * *
2011 * * * * * * * *

Experian

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2015 * * * * *   CO
2014 30  30    30   60   90 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
2013 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 30 * * * * * * * * *
2012 * * * * * * * * * * * *
2011 * * * * * * * *

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question on how chargeoff is reporting between 2 agencies

Its immaterial, the only thing that matters is the DoFD of the account, the fact that its a CO is the big one and nothing is going to change that. I would be concentrating my efforts on getting a good will deletion of the TL. I would expect to be in it for the long haul as this is an OC and they are hard to get good will from but it is possible. If you keep disputing and bring the status date current then it cant age in the eyes of Fico and your score cannot recover. I suggest the gw letters be sent to the office of the CEO. Good luck Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it was paid in full in March so I don't think they can update the Chargeoff status past then.  I'll leave it alone for now I guess, I have already harrassed them enough with goodwill letters for a bit.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once its charged off, it will always be a charge off, regardless of whether its paid or not - unless the OC GW's the CO status from the account, which is quite rare. Each time its updated as a result of disputes, its charge off status is reported.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The creditor does not report the date they did the charge-off.

They report only that they have done a charge-off, and if they do report that the debt has been charged-off, they must then report the DOFD within 90 days after reporting of the CO.

The fact of their having taken the CO remains.  While the debt remains unpaid, the CO can remain as the current status.

Once paid, the current status in updated to paid, and the CO remains under both the payment history and the Payment Rating.  The Payment Rating status records the account status prior to the current status of paid, and thus would correctly be charge-off.

It's a matter of which cubby hole the infomation continues to occupy in your credit file, not whether it remains.

Monthly delinquencies are separate from the reporting of a CO, and can vary between the CRAs and even contnue to be reported at increasing levels after the debt is charged off.  Consistency between the CRAs is not required.

Dispute of the accuracy is likely to result in the addition of each and every monthly delinquency to each CRA, and could be counter-productive.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.