Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on "bucketing"

tag
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Question on "bucketing"

So, my question is how does bucketing affect your credit scores? Here is the info from my credit reports:

EquifaxTransUnionExperian
Length of Credit History7 Years, 9 Months18 Years, 9 Months7 Years, 9 Months
Average Account Age5 Years, 7 Months5 Years, 1 Months5 Years, 2 Months

When I get positive revolving tradelines, how does all this factor into my score?

Thanks again, (looks at Shogun).

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question on "bucketing"

This is a post of the subject from Tuscani.  It's one of the best I've seen here and I've quoted bits of it before.

The purpose of pools (aka scorecards, buckets, ect.) works out more to the benefit of those with derogs or very little to no history than it does them harm.

If there was only one simple bell curve including all credit files then those fortunate, extremely long established folks would have the whole top half of the score numbers scale absolutely locked up tight.

So where would that leave the person who is only beginning to build a credit history at all? Or who has had some derogs in the past but now is trying to work toward a better CR and score? They would be locked down into the basement of the score range for probably ten, twenty years or more. There's no WAY that that new user or rebuilder individual has as much good history yet as that long established individual does.

So what the pools are attempting to do is to help potential lenders figure out which of the new-credit individuals are showing characteristics which usually go on to blossom into a long clean history, and which other ones don't. The same for rebuilding individuals. By assigning relatively better scores to top of each scorecard and lower scores to the least improved, the individuals who are making progress float to the top. They actually are scoring a bit better than they would if being compared head to head with Mr. Jones who has no derogs whatsoever and has 30+ years of history already.

By trying to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, that means that amongst the pool of individuals who share certain key history elements, Customer A looks most like someone who will continue to do better and better and is not as likely to default whereas Customer B from the same group is not showing those indicators of steady improvement.

If it weren't for scorecards, IMO, it would be very difficult to get decent mortgages and accounts and loans without thirty years of history already established. That would mean that it would be like climbing an ice mountain barefoot to buy a house or a car or open a credit card before the age of at least forty or fifty.

The pools tend to be split out according to:

-Age of file (length of credit history)

-Thickness of file (number of trade lines)

-Presence of a new account (opened within past X months)

-Presence of seriously negative payment history (90+ days late, charge off, etc.)

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Question on "bucketing"

As always, thanks Shogun, that helped a ton.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.