Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on reporting of auto loan lates/Credit 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on reporting of auto loan lates/Credit 1

Tqo questions...

Do not ask me how I did this. My only excuse was I was a single mom of small formerly micropreemie twins who were chronically sick and had gone back to work recently. On my car loan I USED to have before my vehicle was totalled, I never had a late payment. On the new one, for some reason I thought my payments were due on the 5th, so always made sure to pay them before I hit the 30 day bucket. BUT they were really due the 1st. And sometimes I paid on the 31st once I did realize what day they were due, thinking I avoided the dreaded 30 day bucket. Anyway by the time I financed my new vehicle, I had a number of late payments. I disputed my account as closed when it seemed to be taking too long for it to be reported and suddenly Equifax only shows one late payment? Are the other bureaus going to follow suit? Was this just a fluke and next report the late payments will be back?

Should I ever consider a Credit 1 card? I currently have two Merricks with the big total credit limit of $1850. Should I just keep on trying to get my few remaining bad debts addressed and hope my score goes up enough to qualify for a decent card? Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on reporting of auto loan lates/Credit 1

@Anonymous wrote:

Tqo questions...

Do not ask me how I did this. My only excuse was I was a single mom of small formerly micropreemie twins who were chronically sick and had gone back to work recently. On my car loan I USED to have before my vehicle was totalled, I never had a late payment. On the new one, for some reason I thought my payments were due on the 5th, so always made sure to pay them before I hit the 30 day bucket. BUT they were really due the 1st. And sometimes I paid on the 31st once I did realize what day they were due, thinking I avoided the dreaded 30 day bucket. Anyway by the time I financed my new vehicle, I had a number of late payments. I disputed my account as closed when it seemed to be taking too long for it to be reported and suddenly Equifax only shows one late payment? Are the other bureaus going to follow suit? Was this just a fluke and next report the late payments will be back?

Should I ever consider a Credit 1 card? I currently have two Merricks with the big total credit limit of $1850. Should I just keep on trying to get my few remaining bad debts addressed and hope my score goes up enough to qualify for a decent card? Thanks!

Avoid Credit One like the plague. They are owned by Sherman Capital, a VERY large junk debt buyer. Thats all the reason I need to avoid them. If you have two Merricks card, I would suggest getting a couple of Capital One cards.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually had a Capital One charge-off. Smiley Sad I did settle with the collection agency for the cost of the original debt but doubt I can get a new one. It seems many here get Fingerhut. It feels like bottom feeding but guess I could do that. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually had a Capital One charge-off. Smiley Sad I did settle with the collection agency for the cost of the original debt but doubt I can get a new one. It seems many here get Fingerhut. It feels like bottom feeding but guess I could do that. 

Capital only cares about a charge off with them if its LESS than one year since the date of the charge off.

Message 4 of 10
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Have you tried the prequal link? Cap 1 is very forgiving and plenty of people have cards with them after charge offs...I'd see what the prequal says...how old was it?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what I see when I try to prequalify: 

CaptainKangaroo, we couldn't match your records to a card offer. But based on your answers, we think you might like this card.

Oh and date of first deliquency was 1/2013.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what I see when I try to prequalify: 

CaptainKangaroo, we couldn't match your records to a card offer. But based on your answers, we think you might like this card.

Oh and date of first deliquency was 1/2013.

Go ahead and app.

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Even though late under your account agreement, when you made each late payment, was it done within 30 days after the due date, and did it place the account back into pays as agreed status?

If so, the lates would not constiute 30-lates within the reporting definition of the CRAs.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it put me in the naughty bucket. 30 to 60.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bit the bullet. Got my Fingerhit card - I have the big $400 credit limit! I think I will wait a bit to apply for any other new credit. I am so sure Capital One will say no. Still wish I knew what was going to happen with my old auto loan reporting!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.