Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on sold CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on sold CA

I received a notice from a new CA today, saying they were assigned the debt from the OC. The debt is still reporting from the old CA. The new CA had my account info correct. After a call to them, they said if I could pay the collections by the date they were set to report for the first time (2/2) they would not report it to the CB's...has anyone heard of this before? In the same conversation, the collector said the OC still owned the account, and they could not PFD since they did not own it. How could this bite me in the behind? I could manage to pay it by 2/2, and the collection is new enough, i would like it to go away.

Does this sound valid..if you clear up a collection before it reports, it disappears? I have til 2/2 to take care of it, if so. 

How would I know that they were really the new assigns?

How can I get the old CA to drop the reporting?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question on sold CA

Yes, it appears legit.  They are offering you a modifiied PFD.  Instead of deleting, they are promising not to report. 

Their statement that they cant accept a PFD since they dont own the debt is inaccurate.  They have assigned collection authhority.  Your PFD offer to them has absolutely nothing to do with the OC. The debt collector reported the CA, and has sole discretion over its deletion from your CR.

An agreement with the new debt collector not to report  wont require any deletions by the OC, or by the former debt collector.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Robert. Great...This particular debt is an extra bad looking item. After 10 years with my bank, I bounced some checks, and saw that they intentionally re-ordered the checks to hurt me as much as possible (they re-ordered between the evening check on the account online and the morning). I was livid, tried to talk to them, and they denied they manipulated checks like that....HA! I walked away. Explaining this to a loan officer, however...never mind, I learned my lesson...SunRust got the last laugh after all. 

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

After the debt is paid and the OC was updated by the new CA. Try DV'ing the old CA and see what happens.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.