Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: what to pay

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Question re: what to pay

Since the cards are closed, there would be no CL.  But the 9K balance would definitely count in the utilization.

Message 11 of 20
mauve
Valued Contributor

G, I've seen posters here with closed revolving accounts reporting both a CL and a balance and suffering from really high (over 100%) utilizations that were not accounted for by their open accounts.  The rule of thumb that I've been seeing of late is that if the CL is reported and the balance is 0 on a closed account, it is not counted towards utilization / if the CL is reported and there's a balance, it IS counted towards utilization / if neither the CL nor the balance is reported, it is not counted towards utilization  - all on closed revolving accounts.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

In a thread written by one of the forum's most respected and knowledgeable members there are 4 possible scenarios for a closed CC account.

- If a closed CC account with a balance continues to report the original credit limit, then both the balance and the CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a non-zero CL but has a zero balance, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed account reports a CL that is equal to the balance (balance chasing), then this will be included in the calculations.  This is the worst-case scenario with regard to utilization.

This can be found in Closing Credit Cards. Now I'm just a humble messenger. If anyone disagrees with those 4 possibilities please take it up with the author and not me.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 13 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I don't agree nor disagree.

I just can't imagine that a Credit Grantor closes your account, which has a balance, and it isn't counted toward utilization. No matter if there is a CL reporting or not reporting.   

And, I did assume the CC was either COd or a collection account.  The OP didn't say one way or the other.

So are you saying that even if it is a collection or CO those balances don't count in your utilization? 

Message 14 of 20
mauve
Valued Contributor

It's what I've read - and other posters have confirmed it.  I (un?)fortunately don't have an account on my reports to do the calculations with. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I do.  I have 2 and both of them count toward my utilization.

Anyway, I have always been told, even recently,  that a CO with an OC always counts toward your utilization. 

So, I am still confused.

Message 16 of 20
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I have a CC that is closed, reports a $0 CL with a balance well above $0 and it is not counting toward my utilization %. Therefore, I would agree with the above statement that says:

- If a closed CC account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

While it seems logical that there would be standard rules around this, it does seem like there are inconsistencies. To be 100% accurate, I would look at your CR and figure it out for yourself.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 17 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would agree if it is just closed with a balance.

If it is COd I have to disagree.  Mine is counting toward my utilization and it shows a 0 CL.

Message 18 of 20
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Yes, mine was just closed with a balance, not a CO.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 19 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

It could be that those 4 scenarios are what is supposed to happen but if the CRA's (or perhaps the creditors themselves) are not coding the information correctly then variations might occur. I don't know. I'm just throwing that out there.

It's along the same lines that collections are supposed to be scored from the date of assigmnent and not the date of last activity but the CA has to report correctly and the CRA needs to put the information into the correct data fields.

Seems like this is just another YMMV situation.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.