Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding CFPB / Chase ruling

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding CFPB / Chase ruling

Hello all!!  

I am in need of some advice -- Chase filed a judgement against me in early 2010 but I never got it because of an address typo on it.  I did recently find it when I was finally able to obtain online access to my county's public records database so that is how I know it exists.  Nothing ever came of it and now I know that was because of the investigation and recent CFPB ruling.  My account falls into the date range of accounts that Chase can no longer collect on.

I read the ruling (pertinent part is copied below) and it states that Chase was supposed to have notified impacted customers who owned one of these accounts, letting them know that they could no longer collect and that they would contact all 3 credit agencies to have the judgment removed.  

Cease collecting on 528,000 accounts: Chase cannot collect, enforce in court, sell, or transfer debts for consumers whose Chase credit card accounts were sent to collections litigation between January 1, 2009 to June 30, 2014. If Chase previously obtained a court judgment requiring consumers to pay the debt, Chase will notify the consumer that they will not try to collect, enforce, or sell the judgment. Chase will also contact the three major credit reporting companies to request that the judgments not be reported against consumers. 

My actual Chase account fell of my report a few years ago and, presumably because of the address typo, the judgement never showed up on any of my reports so I am not worried about that part.  However, the judgement is showing on the county public records which means it will show up on any search of my name that a mortgage company (or other companies) might run for a title search or any number of other documents. I want to try and buy a house in the next 2 years so this is a big concern for me.

A few questions:

1) Do I contact Chase to request this notification? I am afraid to do this because they might demand money from me. I know they are no longer supposed to collect but I just do not want to wake the beast, so to speak. I have not heard anything on this account since I defaulted. Now I know why, that it was related to the investigation, but I am wary of initiating contact.  Also, what if my account is not actually one of the impacted accounts?  It should be, based on the requirements, but what if that is why I never got a notice?

2) Could I file some kind of motion to vacate just based on the CFPB ruling alone, without any personal letter from Chase? If so, does this require an attorney andwould it remove the judgement totally from public records?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
--
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question regarding CFPB / Chase ruling

What is the time limit for collecting on judgements in your state?
Message 2 of 7
PdxGirl
Valued Member

...and what if Chase sold your account to a debt collector?  I also have a Chase account that falls into that time range, and am making payments on a judgement to a collector.  No lettters or notification received to discontinue.  Is there an expected time frame for receving notification?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PdxGirl wrote:

...and what if Chase sold your account to a debt collector?  I also have a Chase account that falls into that time range, and am making payments on a judgement to a collector.  No lettters or notification received to discontinue.  Is there an expected time frame for receving notification?

I have a negative with DOFD on Feb/2009 that they transferred or sold to Pinnacle that shows on my equifax report. I was able to get it off TU and EX cia early exclusion. This makes me curious as well about this.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PdxGirl wrote:

Did the CA sue on behalf of Chase, or were they the debt owner in the case? It should sate such in the Judgement paperwork.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe judgements in my state expire after 10 years but can be revived for up to 20 years.

To my knowledge the debt was never sold. Chase is the only name on the judgement and no one has ever tried to collect from me, including Chase. That was part of what they were reported for doing wrong. They skipped normal collection efforts and went straight to filing judgements on thousands of accounts. For me the judgement was filed Dec 2010 and my DOFD date was around June of 2010.
Message 6 of 7
PdxGirl
Valued Member

The paperwork on mine says the plantiff is Midland and the orginal creditor is Chase Bank. So the debt was sold to Midland.

Either way, Midland should be cancelling this too, right?

By the way, I'm sorry to hijack your thread cam3150.  I hope others can benefit from info about the Chase ruling.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.