Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Merrick Bank Pre-selected Approved Credit Line

tag
saggyg
New Visitor

Question regarding Merrick Bank Pre-selected Approved Credit Line

Good afternoon everyone,

The other day I received a Merrick Bank Pre-selected Approved Credit Line for $1100 with the double your credit line in 7 months to $2200 with on time payments.

Terms: No annual fee, no account setup fees, no monthly service fee, no penalty rates, no over limit fee and free FICO score monthly. Interest rate 23.45%, which I really don't care about since I will be paying it off every month or keeping a super low balance.

I have looked around on here and haven't really seen anything negative about them.

Does this mean they have looked at my credit reports already and decided I am a good risk?
Anyone have any comments regarding Merrick, good or bad?
Should I wait and just apply to Capital One when I am ready? I really wanted a Venture card for travel points.

Currently my scores range between 629 and 708, I own my home and car, and between a store card and being an AU on another, the credit limit is over $11,000.

Any info would be helpful

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: Question regarding Merrick Bank Pre-selected Approved Credit Line

I received the same letter from them roughly 8 months ago. I was worried as well because pre-approved doesn't always mean you're approved.  i wasn't worried about the INQ, so I went for it.  Approved!

I even paid one payment a day or 2 late by mistake.  No late payment fee AND still got my automatic CLI after 7 months.  I think the rate is around 24%, but as rebuilders, that's to be expected.  I have zero complaints with Merrick.  And you get a free FICO score each month as well. Its bankcard adjusted, but close enough.  Definitely a FICO.  Think the only requirement is paperless billing.

So if you don't mind the INQ, I'd say go for it.

Edit to add:  My scores were lower than yours.  Beginning limit was only $500, but still was approved.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Pre selected does not mean you are approved for the card it just means at some point previously your profile fit the requirements for the card. If you have a mortgage and car payment I would not bother with a Merrick Bank card they are considered a sub prime lender. I would get in with a few CUs (local or national) and get their credit cards and/or lines of credit. Your idea of the Cap-1 Venture is a good one and even though Cap-1 gets a bad rap they are better on your report than Merrick.

Message 3 of 5
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I have a Merrick bank card. They got me when I really needed a card to help rebuild. They've been great. Have no negative things to say about then. I started At a $500 limit and after 6 months got an auto CLI to $1000. 

Message 4 of 5
polno1234
Contributor

i have had their secured card for over a year. no problems at all.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.