Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding a collection letter I received

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding a collection letter I received

A CA has contacted me stating that their client (OC) has submitted my account to them for collection and that I have 30 days to dispute the validity of a debt. In the letter they state that all collection activity will be stopped if payment in full is sent. Does this necessarily mean that if I pay them that they will not report me to the credit bureaus or is reporting not considered a part of "collection activity"?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question regarding a collection letter I received

@Anonymous wrote:

A CA has contacted me stating that their client (OC) has submitted my account to them for collection and that I have 30 days to dispute the validity of a debt. In the letter they state that all collection activity will be stopped if payment in full is sent. Does this necessarily mean that if I pay them that they will not report me to the credit bureaus or is reporting not considered a part of "collection activity"?

reporting is part of CA activity, if its not reporting now and you know the debt is valid I would call them and ask that it not be reported in exchange for PIF.

Welcome to MF Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried getting them to agree to not report the collection if it's paid in full but no luck. They said something along the lines that if I wanted it to not be reported, my best bet would be to pay them but no gaurantees. Should I pay in full without them agreeing to or should I contact the OC and try getting them to recall the debt? Thanks

Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I've tried getting them to agree to not report the collection if it's paid in full but no luck. They said something along the lines that if I wanted it to not be reported, my best bet would be to pay them but no gaurantees. Should I pay in full without them agreeing to or should I contact the OC and try getting them to recall the debt? Thanks

You can try to have the OC recall and pay them directly if they wont go for it then I would pay the CA.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Bump for more suggestions

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If its a CA you actually never want to deal with them.

If you are within the 30 days of the first ever Dunning letter the CA is sending you, you want to send a DV out Certified Mail and then negotiate with the OC.

How much is the amount/balance? What is the DOFD; is it within SOL; what state are you in? Is it a medical Collection?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it's a medical collection and it's the first letter I've received from them (it still hasn't been 30 days since I've received this letter). I'm in Illinois, and the amount is for $817. The DOFD is May 23rd of this year. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've called the OC and asked them if they could recall the account but they said they usually can't until it's been paid. What should I do? 

Edit: So reporting IS considered to be a part of "collection activity"?

Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I've called the OC and asked them if they could recall the account but they said they usually can't until it's been paid. What should I do? 

Edit: So reporting IS considered to be a part of "collection activity"?

Yes reporting it is part of collection activity, you have one more option, its the HIPAA Process, we cannot discuss it on this board but you can Google it and I suggest you contact its creator for help on the medical collection.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the purpose of the HIPAA process and when is it to be used? (not sure if this is allowed to be discussed)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.