Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding old debts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding old debts

Back in my college days, I racked up a few collections items, $400 from Target, $800 from Dell, $700 from AT&T, and now that they are 4 years old, I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay them off. 

I'm 23 years old, have a mortgage for $157500, one car loan with a balance of $13000, one Bank of America credit card with a $3000 balance (I pay $200 a month on this) but my credit limit is $19,000, one American Express credit card that I pay in full every month but it has a $20,000 credit limit and two federal student loans totalling $17000.  The last 24 months on my credit reports are flawless but the things from the past still bug me. 

When I purchased my home I paid off a bank of america credit card that had gone in collections and also a collections account from an eviction from 5 years ago.  I do have a few baddies so my credit scores are in the mid to high 600's. 

Like I said in the beginning, I'm wondering if it's worth to pay them off.  I've heard before that paying things from the past (4-7 years before), really doesn't improve one's credit score, so I just want to know what other people have heard.  Also, I'm not looking into buying a home, getting a credit card, or a car loan, but it would be nice to be in the 700 club.  I'm thinking that at my stage, all I can do is have time pass me by to have my credit scores increase. 

Any thoughts???

Maria
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question regarding old debts

You need to know what your SOL is before trying to get baddies deleted using a PFD.

What is your SOL?

ATT  is this for a cell phone and who is reporting the OC or a CA?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happydays, I was living in Seattle Wa for last 10 years but just moved to Florida 6 month ago. What SOL should I go by?

Also it says Sol for Wa is 3 years so does this mean 3 years from the date of it went into collection?

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

400 from Target, $800 from Dell, $700 from AT&T, and now that they are 4 years old

Target and ATT are (type) open accounts     look at the month DOFD..............if it was July 2004 then you are past SOL in both states. (they can use either SOL)

Open accounts  3 years in Wa. and 4 years in Fl.

Look at how Dell is reporting. Is it showing revolving or installment.........The SOL will be longer if it is an installment.

WA. 6 years    Fl 5 years
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.