Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question

tag
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Question

My brother in law was injured and went to the hospital in late 09. He was in the process of moving. In 2010, He was called to the Human Resource office of the company he worked for for nearly 5 yrs and was told he was garnished for a judgment. Immediately he called the hospital collections and paid in full. They refuse to remove this from his credit report.

Isn't there laws on failure to notify? They said they had no way of contacting him, but they had no problem finding him to issue a judgment to garnish his wages. I would think his due process was violated in the court system. This happened in Indiana.

What is the biggest kicker, they even have the date of service wrong!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Question

Something does no sound right. He would have been served notice for the court hearing which resulted in a summary judgement. He needs to go back to the court and investigate how that notice was served. If the service of notice was flawed, he has a case for requesting that the judgement be vacated ... especially now that is has also been satisfied.

Message 2 of 13
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

That is what I said! They said they sent notifications, however he was never served. Yet, they had no problem serving him at work by letting him know his check was being garnished!
Message 3 of 13
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I told my sister to contact Consumer Finance Bureau and file a complaint. His right to due process was violated!
Message 4 of 13
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Drsgwld wrote:
That is what I said! They said they sent notifications, however he was never served. Yet, they had no problem serving him at work by letting him know his check was being garnished!

Where was the notification sent? If you don't know, then do as I suggest and go find out. You/they are working the wrong end of the problem.

Message 5 of 13
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Drsgwld wrote:
I told my sister to contact Consumer Finance Bureau and file a complaint. His right to due process was violated!

Really? How do you know that? A judge will not issue a summary judgement without being satisfied that service was complete. If you can find a flaw in how the service was completed, then you have something to challenge. Until then, making such statements without having proof does not help your relatives and neither is the advice to file a complaint. Let us know how it all shakes out. All the best.

Message 6 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You need to contact the court to see how you were served and if there's any discrepancy on that.  May not be the fault of the court nor the collection company, it could have been the process server.  Once you see how they claim they attempted to serve you, you could ask for it to be vacated on those reasonings.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 13
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

It was my brother in law. He was not served for the hearing. He was only served for the garnishment or given notification via his employer.
Message 8 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Drsgwld wrote:
It was my brother in law. He was not served for the hearing. He was only served for the garnishment or given notification via his employer.

But he still needs to contact the court.  They got a default judgement against him.  That means someone somewhere said they tried to serve him and couldn't so the judgement was granted because no one was there to fight it.  He needs to find out from the court who supposedly tried to serve him and what methods was used.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 13
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Is it a reasonable fight for him to get this vacated?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.