cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questioning Incorrect Account Number, Harmful or Not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questioning Incorrect Account Number, Harmful or Not?

I recently began an attempt to rebuild my credit, including making sure all information on my CRs are correct.  Which is where my problem comes in. 

In late 2004/early 2005 I had some financial troubles.  In late 2005 I was able to settle or pay off most of those financial accounts that were in trouble, including 2 Bank of America accounts (1 was MBNA).  I still have several of the CA letters that were sent to me in 2005 to settle the Bank of America account.  When I cross reference the BoA account number on my CRs to the BoA account number listed on the CAs letters, they do not match nor does it belong to my MBNA account number which IS correct.  I should probably also mention that 2 different CAs contacted me, A1 and NCO, and both listed the same BoA account number.  On my CRs it does state the BoA account was settled which is true.

My question is, if I question the accuracy of the account number will it be harmful to my scores or helpful?  Will they just change the account number on my CRs and if so will that change the DOLA on my CRs which is currently 2005 to drop off 2012?

I have the CA letters requesting settlement but I do not have a letter of confirmation which I am concerned will also be a problem.

Any help with this would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Re: Questioning Incorrect Account Number, Harmful or Not?

I don't think it's helpful or hurtful.  The account number itself does not matter.  What matters is are the accounts reporting a correct status, a correct balance due, DOFD, etc.  If everything else except the account number is correct then it should have no impact on your score.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I can tell it all seems correct except for the account number.  I no longer have any records for this account so I can not be sure.  There is one thing that I am questioning though, other than the account number, which is the Date Reported.  I settled this account around September 2005 therefore I do not understand why it shows - Date Reported: 12/2008 - ???
Message 3 of 4
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Date reported means the date it was sent to the CRAs.  They can report it anytime...  meaning even if they dont immediately report you late, they can do so after the fact (again as long as it's accurate). 

The date reported does not mean much.  The more important thing to know is the date of first deliquency...  which is the trigger for when it will come off of your report.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.