Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about AU

tag
DougSmith81
Established Member

Questions about AU

Hello, I am new the board and have not had success finding an answer to my question.

I have a chargeoff on all 3 bureaus for HSBC credit card $505.00 - I was an authorized user (never actually used it though)

The card belonged to my girlfriend, she is my wife now, but we were married after the chargeoff. Can I successfully get this removed as Not My Account?

I have the money to pay it, but worry about paying chargeoffs for no results. I appreciate any advice you can offer. 

Starting Score: TU 594
Current Score: TU 639
1st Goal Score: TU 650 by end of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Davidngo
Contributor

Re: Questions about AU

If you really look at it, since you are an authorized user, you can be nailed for the amount that is delinquent.  Have you pulled to see if the amount has been factored into your utilization?  If so, paying it off might increase your score even though the damage has already been done with the charge off.

Eventually, you are going to have to wait the 7-7.5 years to see it fall off unless you PFD with the OCA, but that might take some effort.  But as time passes, the CO has less impact.

MyFICO Pulled: (11/28/2012) EQ 635, TU 650, EX 661
Lender Pulled: (12/05/2012) EQ 635, TU 677, EX 641
Lender Pulled: (02/20/2013) EQ 667, TU 661, EX 648
MyFICO Pulled: (05/30/2013) EQ 712, TU 685, EX 686

Finally Hit the 700's as of 06/05/2013!!!
Message 2 of 6
DougSmith81
Established Member

I guess that is what I need clarification on. I never signed anything on paper, or electronically to make me an authorized user. The actual account owner did because she thought it would help me establish some credit. 

At the end of the day I will PFD if I have to, but I want to know if I could have it removed since I'm not legally obligated to pay the debt?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you were only an authorized user, you have no obligation for the debt, period.

I would not pay a debt for which I had no obligation.

I would have the principal card holder (your wife) contact the creditor and have you removed as an authorized user.

If the creditor will not comply, then you can resort to the "account not mine" approach through the CRA, but that would only be my second resort.

All AUs are, by definition, not yours.  Simply reporting of deletiion by the creditor is the best route.

Message 4 of 6
DougSmith81
Established Member

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. Should she contact them via certified mail, or would a phone call work? 

Message 5 of 6
DougSmith81
Established Member

*Update!

I called the OC on 7/6 to try and get them to remove this since I never signed to become an authorized user. They stated they had no record of my name or social security number at all. They said they were unable to help me with validation or anything, this account simply doesn't exist in their records.

I disputed with Transunion online (only one reporting it) 

Got an email today... DELETED!!!

I am so excited, I was very close to writing a $500 check to make this go away with a PDF, I am so glad I found this forum. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time. The most important lesson so far was to not let these companies hurt me any more.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.