Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Discover card and Medical cases

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about Discover card and Medical cases

Hello,

I recently checked my credit reports and i should of earlier, I have a few delinquencies.

The first is that I am being sued by Discover Card. I was paying my card off fine, until I was mandatorily hospitalized. I was unemployed, and judged legally disabled. Thus, interest accrued to incredible amounts from the original debt. However, I think a lot of the debt was from fraudelent charges by (basically scamming) companies like Hydroxatone. They kept charging me for a product I never used or opened. There was a lawsuit against them apparently  for such things like this, according to a Google search. However I never disputed the charges because at the time I was naive and never knew I could dispute them. They were eventually charged off. These charges plus the interest accrued whilst in hospital, (and obviously being unable to pay, legally disabled, and  being unemployed) were defenses I could of tried in court. However, being the naive and stupid person I can be, I listened to my mother which said "just ignore them" Well, I am on SSD and with the only backpay that I could afford I decided I should settle with a collection agency for the Discover card debt.  I still never recieved a "satisfaction of judgement" letter for the court, and disputed this on my credit report. I also am prepared for any 1099cs that might be sent from Discover since the debt was a settlement. I wish I could of disputed my actual credit report charges before they were charged off so It wouldnt be a blemish on my credit report. Is there anything I can do about that/ The fraudulent charges? The disabiility and hospitalization? In order to get the chargeoff off my credit report? Should I call discover or only dispute through the credit reporting agencies?

Also, there are a few negative reports that are deemed medical. I was not aware of these, never recieved the bills int he mail. I am not my insurance holder, I am uender my mother's plan. She mightve taken my mail because she tends to do that, but I'm not sure. These are listed without any info of past payments, payments not paid, etcc like the Discover card entry entails each payment month by month.

There are some others that I am unsure of what they are pertaining to. The collection companies are: Alliance One recievable, (VT judicial?), Escallate

(Medical) and Independent Recovery Resources (Medical) I tried calling them today but it's a weekend so they aren't there. Anyone have experienh ce with these companies? Any advice? Do I pay them all off, or can a settlement be reached? Or can I dispute them with my health insurance? Also, is there anything I can do about

the Discover card deal?

I want to know also if these will stay on my credit report for the full 7 years, if they are paid off. Can some cases be dismissed? I feel so sad that my report is so damaged. and it wasn't all in my control, some it was not in my hands. I am finally thought learning about the existence of credit reports and whatnot.

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks!

B

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Questions about Discover card and Medical cases

Sorry to hear all this, for medical CAs I would Google search the HIPAA Process and contact its owner for help. At this point there isnt much you can do about the Discover CO entry, since its settled you will need to start a campaign of GW letters to the reporting entities asking for forgiveness. Going forward if you are on SS Disab or retirement those funds are protected up to 2 months worth in a bank account making one nearly judgment proof. Fraudulent charges have a time limit that one can challenge them and its 60 days from the date of statement that they appear on so there is nothing you can do there at this point. A Satisfaction of judgment is required to be filed with the court once the judgment is settled its the law, to remove the judgment look into getting it vacated on grounds its been paid, some states allow this. Good luck and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about Discover card and Medical cases

Regarding the 1099C you might recieve. Since you're on SSD, you should be considered insolvent and any 1099C 'income' should not be taxable. You might have to consult a tax expert on how to claim the exemption.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.