Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about collection account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about collection account

I have a collection from over a year ago that just popped up on my report (the collection was an unpaid utility bill). I've heard it takes 7 years for a collection to come off but is that 7 years from when it goes onto the report or 7 years from when the bill was past due? Because the bill went past due over a year ago but It just popped up on my report last month and is saying that the date opened was 8/1/14. Also my credit report does not show a date when this collection is supposed to come off.

Also, Transunion and equifax see this has an unpaid collection, but experian sees it as a past due or late. So now I have a collection account AND a late. is this right, or should it only be considered a collection?

I've tried repeatedly to have them PFD this but they flat out refused to PFD, What is my next step since they have refused over the phone?

Thanks so much!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Questions about collection account

Collections become excluded from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date you first became delinquent on the OC account, and remained delinqent up to the point of referrral for collection.  No date other than the DOFD is relevant to credit report exclusion.

Date opened for a collection is the date they received collection authority, and is only relevant to credit reporting in that it affixes that the DOFD must be prior to that date.

I presume that EX is showing reporting by the OC of their account that went to collection?  If so, both can simultaneously show in your credit report.

If they wont accept a PFD, then you can either continue to pursue a PFD by attempting to contact a higher management official, pay without a promised deletion, or continue to carry an unpaid, delinquent debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.