Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about how stores work and Kohls approvals in particular

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about how stores work and Kohls approvals in particular

I've never had a store card in my entire life and today I used the SCT to get approved for $2,500 each on Wayfair and Pottery Barn! I'm super excited. I would like to add a third store card, and Kohl's in particular would be good for my family, but it's not popping up anything using the SCT. Is that normal or does it just not love me? So weird since I've read it pulls Experian and my bankcard scores there are my highest.

Anyway, now that I have these cards, how do I use them for maximum score benefit? I do not have any installment loans, no car or mortgage, so I want to show that I can pay off a balance responsibly. My CCs report zero except for one with a tiny balance (usually $10-15). Should I treat these the same way or actually charge things and pay them down over time? My goal here is NOT buying power but 100% score improvement/credit rebuilding.

Thanks for all of your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about how stores work and Kohls approvals in particular

I don't believe the SCT works with Kohl's because Kohl's is backed by Capital One.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never had a store card in my entire life and today I used the SCT to get approved for $2,500 each on Wayfair and Pottery Barn! I'm super excited. I would like to add a third store card, and Kohl's in particular would be good for my family, but it's not popping up anything using the SCT. Is that normal or does it just not love me? So weird since I've read it pulls Experian and my bankcard scores there are my highest.

Anyway, now that I have these cards, how do I use them for maximum score benefit? I do not have any installment loans, no car or mortgage, so I want to show that I can pay off a balance responsibly. My CCs report zero except for one with a tiny balance (usually $10-15). Should I treat these the same way or actually charge things and pay them down over time? My goal here is NOT buying power but 100% score improvement/credit rebuilding.

Store cards are scored the exact same way as any other revolving credit card.  Treat them the same way you would a MC/VISA.  For the best score boost you should get some type of installment loan going, even if just a small secured CU loan.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Argh! Okay, well so much for my plan. I guess I'll just use these every once in awhile and pay them off when I get home. I'll try for Kohl's today because that's one that offers helpful coupons/deals.

I will definitely look into a secured loan. I know I need something installment on my report but I have no desire to finance anything right now. A secured loan would do the trick.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't go adding a bunch of store cards - you need BANK cards.

Kohls is a Capital One card, they do not use the SCT as far as I know, only Commenity does. But its NOT a typical Cap One triple pull.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.