Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions & Secured CC's (Which One's?)

tag
lo_nc84

Questions & Secured CC's (Which One's?)

Hi Everyone,

A couple question's for the board. I've started looking at secured credit card's as it's time to start rebuilding but if you could help clear up a few things for me I'd appreciate it. Answer what you can. 

1. Do medical bills in collection's impact your credit score? ( I've been told both yes and no)

2. If you've burned CC companies in the past will they ever give you another CC?

3. My CR has Chase listed as Closed-Paid (Condition) and Charged Off and CA is no longer reporting, can I dispute this and have it deleted? It still has a few months left but I'd like it gone if possible now.

4. Can I get Capitol 1 to delete original debt listed on CR since CA is reporting as well. So the two are reporting the same debt.

5. Do you send a GW letter to original debtor or to the CA? I've been told to never acknowledge the debt when it is so close to being deleted on CR. Supposedly coming off 12/2014. 

When do you use a GW letter? 

6. Secured CC's- Which one's have the better chance of converting to an Unsecured CC?

Currently looking at - 

Bank Of America $39 Annual 20.24% Chance after a year?

US Bank Secured $35 Annual 20.99% Chance after a year?

Open Sky $29 Annual 17.50% Variable Not Sure ability to become UCC?

Well's Fargo Secured $25 Annual 18.99% Chance. 

Please let me know your experience's with these cards. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Questions & Secured CC's (Which One's?)

1) Yes. FICO scores medical CAs. On most commonly used FICO versions, they are scored fully whether they have a $0 balance or a $10k balance; it doesn't matter. However, the newest FICO versions out there will ignore any type of CA if the balance is under $100 I believe, though lenders can opt to fully consider them.

2) Usually.

3) A paid CO can report for 7-7.5 yrs from the DOFD. If within that time period, they can still report. Try sending a GW.

4) Are both reporting a balance?

5) GWs go to whomever reports a paid bad debt, like a paid CO or a paid CA. GWs can also go to anyone reporting a baddie within the TL like a late or a negative comment within a TL. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging a now-paid debt. Shows accountability. It was already acknowledged when it was paid (or sold in the case of an OC).

6) Bumping for others. IME, BofA was generous at upgrading.

Message 2 of 6
lo_nc84

Thanks so much for taking the time to write back.

4. Are both reporting a balance?- It appears as though they both are. Capitol 1 was the OC- On Experian it say's closed- Then reports $576. C/O 07/2007. CLS-05/12

Portfolio Recovery is listing the debt with a $699 balance. I disputed it just by the chance that it shouldn't be listed twice for the same debt.

5. It was already acknowledged when it was paid (or sold in the case of an OC).- So if the OC- CO and CLS and sold to CA. Should I write the OC or CA? I have not paid it. It delete's off report in 12/2014, I planned on letting it fall off.

6. BOA- I've heard positive things about them. Anyone else have an opinion on these cards?

Last but not least. I got a deletion of my credit!!!!! I disputed NCO Financial Systems for reporting a $97 collection from 2010 for progressive insurance. I had their insurance for 3 months that automatically came out of my acct. I called and canceled it when I went back to state farm. They never canceled the acct and continued to bill my Wachovia card every day for 4 day's they put my acct negative $300. Needless to say I disputed it. Told Experian that it had been canceled and closed. They had my direct deposit in which they had always been paid. They deleted it today after only two days. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Message 3 of 6
lo_nc84

SO if Experian delete's off the CR. Does that mean that only Experian will delete it? I looked at my transunion today and it is still on there. 2 are closed so I was thinking of writing a GW letter to the OC, They CO the accounts. Only 1 is w a CA.

Message 4 of 6
lo_nc84

Anyone?

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@lo_nc84 wrote:

SO if Experian delete's off the CR. Does that mean that only Experian will delete it? 

It depends. If you disputed with EX, then often TU and/or EQ will follow, but not always. Maybe EX saw something that TU didn't. If it was the creditor that initiated the deletion, then usually the rest will follow shortly. I'd give them up to a week or two to see if the others follow.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.