cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on Credit Report and Reporting Items.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions on Credit Report and Reporting Items.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just committed to working on rebuilding my credit and cleaning my credit report up. I've made my goal cleaning my report up and taking off incorrect information and checking that all information reported has been accurate. I debated hiring a company to help with this but would rather try and save the money to pay off old valid debts. 

I have a couple of questions, first is - should I be sending just one dispute letter per agency (equi, tu & experian) challenging all information that is wrong? Also, out of the 3 agencies only one has my correct birthday while the other two are pretty far off and another has incorrect addresses listed, should that go in the same or separate letter?

Ok, now that the basics are out there, I have a company that has me in collections and I don't believe the debt to mine. When I pulled my credit report from all 3 agencies I noticed that the company listed the debt as a write off and sold but then show right back up with another new ding on my report. The only difference is that they changed the account numbers. Is this legal? 

Thanks,

Credit Repair Newbie

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Questions on Credit Report and Reporting Items.

I would advise sending separate disputes for each item of information that is considered inaccurate.

I would limit each dispute to one item of information that is asserted to be inaccurate.

Examples of my reasoning include:

1.  Each asserted inaccuracy could separately be held to not provide sufficient basis for dispute, and thus be dismissed without investigation.  The statute does not provide for partial dismissal of a dispute, and a determination as to other issues, and

2. your dispute must be forwarded to the furnisher of the disputed information, and if lumped with other items/furnishers, could create a clerical problem with the CRA, and

3.  the reinvestigation must be concluded within 30 days of filing of the dispute.  With some furnishers responding and others not, the CRA would have a problem in both determining any required deletions, and conveying those to the consumer, while partially verifying or correctng other items.

As for reporting of the account that showed a charge-off, neither thte taking of a CO nor sale of the debt requires deletion of an OC account. The CO is a totally separate derog, and the sale requires update of debt balance to $0, not dleltion of their account.  They can continue to report, or reinsert the reporting if previously deleted.  The purchaisng debt collector can also report, showing their collection along with the balance they are authorized to collect.

The separate issue of debt not mine requires a decision on your part as to whether you are willing to put that assertion into a sworn police report.

If willing to take that step, you can send that police report to the CRA and get any information related to the asserted identity theft blocked from your credit report under the provisions of FCRA 605B,  The details of their reporting, whether accurate or not, would thus no longer have any impact on your scoring.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.