Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on a BofA overdrawn checking account

tag
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

Questions on a BofA overdrawn checking account

First of all, a big thank you to those who take the time to read and respond to the newbies. I know for me personally, it helps me feel more comfortable to air my dirty laundry, lol.

My question is - does anyone have any experience with reopening a checking account with BOA ? I have 2 accounts in chex systems with them from 2010 and am not having any luck opening a new checking account with a CU or any other bank because of it. They are not paid but one of them is a collection on my CR so I'm in the process of negotiating a PFD with RJM Acquisitions. I'm not sure if I should settle with RJM for less than the full amount and get it deleted or go begging back to BOA and pay in full with the hopes that they will reopen me. It seems like they're such a good secured card to rebuild with and I really want to make things right anyway.....I'm just a bit confused. Any suggestions/testimonials would be greatly appreciated.

12/11/12 Starting Score EQ FICO - 583/ TU FICO - 615/
4/1/13 - Lender Pull - TU - 645 EQ - 675 EX 712
Each One - Teach One
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Questions on a BofA overdrawn checking account

Make sure that you get a LETTER when you pay the accounts.  This letter will go a long way in helping you open accounts.

How much money are you talking about? 

I don't bank with BoA, so hopefully someone with experience can chime in.  Just make sure you get that letter showing the accounts to be PAID. 

Message 2 of 14
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

One of the accounts is for about $600 (RJM agreed to $200 to settle so far but only agreed to update) and the other is for $200 (no collection on CR so far). Thanks for the heads up on the letter.

Each One - Teach One
Message 3 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If I may suggest something....if you can get into Navy Federal Credit Union....they're awesome about helping their members out.

Message 4 of 14
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

If I may suggest something....if you can get into Navy Federal Credit Union....they're awesome about helping their members out.

I wish I could - I've heard awesome things about them. I know no one in the military......I guess I need better friends, lol.

Each One - Teach One
Message 5 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Will RJM agree to a deletion if you pay in full?  BoA may still have you internalized even if you do pay in full.  My dh was in chex for a water bill that was on auto-draft.  I changed the info, but our water dept. was so far behind....I ended up owing about $70....I PIF and the bank wrote me a letter stating the debt was paid.

I have since opened 3 accounts for DH, but he needed that letter.

Message 6 of 14
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

Will RJM agree to a deletion if you pay in full?  BoA may still have you internalized even if you do pay in full.  My dh was in chex for a water bill that was on auto-draft.  I changed the info, but our water dept. was so far behind....I ended up owing about $70....I PIF and the bank wrote me a letter stating the debt was paid.

I have since opened 3 accounts for DH, but he needed that letter.

I'm still working them to get a PFD. That is my concern that if I settle with RJM and they delete, then I still can't get a checking account because BOA will still have me in CHexsystems for paying less.....that's where the indecisiveness comes in.

Each One - Teach One
Message 7 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

please check your private messages....it's the little envelope underneath the search button on the right of the screen.  I PM'd you some additional info.

Message 8 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Why not order the ChexSystems report?  It's free, just get your drivers license handy, you'll need it.  It comes to your house within a few days.

Message 9 of 14
raisinitup
Regular Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

Why not order the ChexSystems report?  It's free, just get your drivers license handy, you'll need it.  It comes to your house within a few days.

Thanks fishbjc - I do have my chexsystems reports and both accounts are showing up there. That's how I verified them.

Each One - Teach One
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.