cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding child support obligations and credit reports...

tag
jon73

Questions regarding child support obligations and credit reports...

Hi,

Here's my situation.  For the past 9 years, I have been in a court battle involving two states, because I have been named the father of a child that is not mine.  While this is still going on in the courts, I have decided to try to take a different approach. 

My question stems from credit report entries about this obligation.  As I mentioned, there are two states involved, since I moved to a different state ten years ago.  The original state still reported on my credit reports, with a scheduled date of removal being 5/13--opened in 2004 and closed in 7/2006.  The current state now enforces their order, and reported that the removal date was 8/14, even though it is the same debt with the same DOFD.  It has been past due since it began in 2004, and they take income tax returns, etc etc but it has always remained past due.  I refuse to pay for a child that is not mine when I have three that are mine and I take care of them like a father should.

anyways, the reporting changed recently.  I pulled a TU report in January, and all of a sudden, the original state listed that the account was closed 1/13, and reported that it would remain on my report until 10/19.  Each month, they change the "closed" date to that month, and they change the "reported until" date to go up one month as well, so that it will ALWAYS be on my report.  I cannot see how this can be legal.  I disputed my TU, and they pulled both off.  Then I disputed my EX, and one was pulled off while the other--the current state--changed the removal date to 8/14.  I disputed my EQ and am still waiting to hear back from their results.  But EX refuses to address the problem, they tell me that "child support is not given the same 7-year guideline as other debts, and the obligation renews every month, so they can report it like this until it is all paid off no matter how long that takes".  I see nothing in the FCRA that backs this up--in fact, section 622 of FCRA clearly states that the delinquency cannot antedate the report by more than 7 years.  If that is the case, then it has already been reported for over 9 years and should be wiped out from my reports.  Am I missing something here, is Experian correct in their claim that it renews every month?  Or am I correct that FCRA does in fact put a 7 year reporting period on this?

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.