Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question About Utility

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Question About Utility

I know keeping your credit utility below 30% is good, and below 9% is better, but do they calculate that per card or out of your total credit access? I have a secured card with a $200 limit. I only use it for my cable bill so it's always at 40% utility or so. But I'm also an AU on a card with a $3200 limit, which has nothing on it (though I'm setting it up so my dad uses it to pay a bill or two so it has some activity, haven't done that yet). So the amount on my secured card is 40% of that card's limit but like 2% of my overall credit availability. Which are they looking at? And what should I do for most improvement? Thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quick Question About Utility

@Anonymous wrote:
I know keeping your credit utility below 30% is good, and below 9% is better, but do they calculate that per card or out of your total credit access? I have a secured card with a $200 limit. I only use it for my cable bill so it's always at 40% utility or so. But I'm also an AU on a card with a $3200 limit, which has nothing on it (though I'm setting it up so my dad uses it to pay a bill or two so it has some activity, haven't done that yet). So the amount on my secured card is 40% of that card's limit but like 2% of my overall credit availability. Which are they looking at? And what should I do for most improvement? Thanks!

They are looking at both individual and overall utilization. Pay that Cap-1 down to 9% or below its individual CL before the statement even cuts and let it report a balance of no more than $18. I would also be looking to pick up some more cards ASAP, you need at least 3 bankcards and 1 store card to help maximize your Fico score but do not app for anything till that new balance on Cap-1 is reported.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.