cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

Over the 4 day weekend, my credit score went up 17 points Smiley LOL And the only thing I did was open an account at a local Credit Union. Is that the reason? My utlization only decreased by 1% so that certainly isn't the reason.

I am happy, very happy, but I was wondering why the sudden jump in my score!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

Joining a CU won't impact your score (other than a slight possibility of a drop if an inquiry was pulled). Did you open a CC, LOC, loan or anything like that? If so, are you certain it reported? Sometimes it takes weeks.

What's the source of your score? And are you comparing the before and after change via the same source?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

I think I figured it out, and now my smile has turned to a frown.

I was reading some other posts and I think it increased suddenly because I am disputing 3 items with Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian. They are 3 accounts from Midland Credit Management regarding 3 cc's that I never opened. Salute Visa, Tribute Visa, and Aspen Visa.

So I think that while they are disputing these items, that is the reason is the jump.

Does that sound about right in your opinion? And if MCM doesn't remove these items, then my score will drop yet again! Right? Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.