Contributor
luvandlife

Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

Over the 4 day weekend, my credit score went up 17 points :smileylol: And the only thing I did was open an account at a local Credit Union. Is that the reason? My utlization only decreased by 1% so that certainly isn't the reason.

I am happy, very happy, but I was wondering why the sudden jump in my score!

Starting Score:575 TU, 577 EQ, 610 EX
Current Score:740 TU, 739 EQ, 750 EX
Goal Score:700+

~Anything Worth While, Takes Time~
I'm done taking shortcuts. I choose the long route. I'll still get there~
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

[ Edited ]

Joining a CU won't impact your score (other than a slight possibility of a drop if an inquiry was pulled). Did you open a CC, LOC, loan or anything like that? If so, are you certain it reported? Sometimes it takes weeks.

What's the source of your score? And are you comparing the before and after change via the same source?

Contributor
luvandlife

Re: Quick Question... Does joining a Credit Union improve your credit score?

I think I figured it out, and now my smile has turned to a frown.

I was reading some other posts and I think it increased suddenly because I am disputing 3 items with Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian. They are 3 accounts from Midland Credit Management regarding 3 cc's that I never opened. Salute Visa, Tribute Visa, and Aspen Visa.

So I think that while they are disputing these items, that is the reason is the jump.

Does that sound about right in your opinion? And if MCM doesn't remove these items, then my score will drop yet again! Right? :smileysad:

Starting Score:575 TU, 577 EQ, 610 EX
Current Score:740 TU, 739 EQ, 750 EX
Goal Score:700+

~Anything Worth While, Takes Time~
I'm done taking shortcuts. I choose the long route. I'll still get there~
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+