Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question Regarding Disputes

tag
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Quick Question Regarding Disputes

Hi! Quick Question!

A few months ago Chase removed a CO account of mine from all three CRA's. 

However, though the CO account has been removed, the CA connected to that account remains. If I start disputing Midland with the hopes that they won't take the time to verify (even though I know they will)  is there a possibility that the CRA will contact Chase to verify and somehow get Chase to start reporting the account again? 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Quick Question Regarding Disputes

In order to require a furnisher of information to "verify" something in a dispute, you have to raise an issue of inaccuracy in a specific item of information they have reported.

Unlike a DV, which is just a general request for verification of debt, a dispute requires some basis for assertion of a specific inaccuracy in reporting.  A dispute that essentially states only that you are disputing an item of information can be dismissed without any investigation as being "frivolous or irrelevant."

So my question is, what do you plan on disputing?

If you dispute, the CRAs are required to contact the party who reported the disputed information.  A dispute with a debt collector would be based on some inaccuracy in their reporting.  They would not have a basis for contacting a party other than the furnisher of the information unless you identified the OC as also reporting inaccurately.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.